Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Cell Phone - buying in Thailand... Use it all over SEA?

Posted by jBird on 16/1/2009 at 01:55

Going to Thailand, Laos, & Vietnam. my cell phone isn't GMS compatible... whatever that is, so I'm planning on buying a phone and SIM card in Thailand.

Can I use that phone in Laos and Vietnam or do I need to buy a SIM card for each country?

#1 jBird has been a member since 11/1/2009. Posts: 19

Posted by DLuek on 16/1/2009 at 10:28 TF writer

Hi jBird,

You will need a different SIM for each country but you can use the same phone. Last time I did this I bought a phone at Siam Square in Bangkok (MBK 5th floor I think - the whole floor is just for cell phones). After you buy your phone they'll give you the SIM for a little more money and when you run out of minutes you can go to any 7/11 to re-charge.

Or you can buy an unlocked phone in your home country before-hand and then buy the SIM when you get there. A Thai friend of mine who lives partly in the US and partly in Thailand said that phones are one thing that are just as expensive in Thailand as here in the states. If you want to know your phone #(s) before you leave, you can buy SIM cards for a bit more $ at www.telestial.com. They also give instructions to help people reach you in each country.

Hope that helps,

DL

#2 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,173
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by jBird on 16/1/2009 at 21:18

Huge help... Thanks, DL.

#3 jBird has been a member since 11/1/2009. Posts: 19

Posted by thaiyaikit on 22/1/2009 at 08:39

Don't know how much a phone costs in states, but in Thailand you can buy a brand new mobile for 800 Baht and a SIM card for about 70 Baht

#4 thaiyaikit has been a member since 20/9/2008. Posts: 32

Posted by jBird on 22/1/2009 at 21:15

Thanks for the info.

I've got a GSM phone. Can I buy a SIM card in Samui or Pha-Ngan?

We're flying into Bangkok, spending the night then off to Samui, catch the ferry to Pha-Ngan (same day).... when we arrive, we're staying someplace near the airport & saving Bangkok for the end of our trip. Not sure if I'm going to want to head into Bangkok after the dreaded 28 hour flight just for a SIM card... would rather sleep!

Is it worth going into Bangkok to get the SIM card? Also, are there any SIM companies that have better rates or are they pretty much the same?

And lastly, is it easy to recharge the card any where in Thailand? We'll be on the islands, then up to Chiang Mai and/or Rai and some other smaller cities.

#5 jBird has been a member since 11/1/2009. Posts: 19

Posted by DLuek on 23/1/2009 at 05:25 TF writer

Yes, you can defenitely get the SIM on Samui. Just go to any 7/11 and ask. The 'happy' brand is what I've always used, and it seems to be a fine rate. You can re-charge at any 7/11 (or anywhere else where 'happy' is sold) throughout the whole country (7/11's are very, very common in Thailand).

good luck,

dl

#6 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,173
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by jBird on 23/1/2009 at 21:53

Here I am trying to get away from the 7/11s and Starbucks and McDs...
Thanks for the your help!

#7 jBird has been a member since 11/1/2009. Posts: 19

Posted by DLuek on 24/1/2009 at 04:36 TF writer

I know - I realized after I wrote my response that it sounded like an advertisement for 7/11! It's not only at 7/11 where you can get the SIM and re-charge it - most convenience/grocery/communications stores will do it. I just used 7/11 as an easy example because they really are everywhere. But if I have the option, I always try to support the local businesses instead.

Have fun!

#8 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,173
 Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.