Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Haircut in Thailand

Posted by simonmobiledisco on 2/2/2009 at 19:14

I am about to leave to go travelling in asia and could do with a haircut so i'm nice and cool and no horrible tan lines when i get it cut again

Now i don't expect it to be like in London, but I would like to remain resonable attractive (got to the best i can with my locks)

have people had experiences with getting a hair cut, was there any comminication issues?

Would saying, give me a local look be style suicide?

#1 simonmobiledisco has been a member since 16/1/2009. Posts: 19

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 2/2/2009 at 23:37

Hi,

In my personal experience Thailand does the worst haircuts! Well, I have had my haircut in a couple of places in Bangkok, krabi, samui and now I wouldn't get it cut anywhere in Thailand.

Let me tell you some things that has happened to me and my friends at various places over the years.

Apart from 'just bad hari cutz' I got my hair cut one time in Krabi, I say cut, I mean shaved. it couldn't be easier to shave someones head with clippers but the women couldn't do it. She left patches all over my head and when I met my mate in the bar outside he pointed it out so we went back to the hairdresses which was right by the bar and my mate had to finish my hair! lol. :)

Another one, My friend wanted to get blonde hi-lights and her hair ended up pink! (yes really, pink hair)

Another friend of mine got it cut in Ko Samui, we ended up nick-naming him 'The Step!' due to the the masive step between grades on his new hairstyle!

Then there was another one of my mates who was getting a 'cut' in samui, the girl doing his hair actually cut a gash in his head with the clippers and he was bleeding for hours! hahaha

So, still wanna get a 'cut'??

:)

#2 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by CunningMcFar on 3/2/2009 at 02:34

I have only had one haircut in the Kingdom, but was very happy with it.
Came with a neck and shoulder massage from one girl, then a long shampoo from another girl, then on to the actual cut from yet another girl. After the cut, another shampooing and an attentive styling, all for under 300 baht. All this attention was quite pleasant and the cut was great, a good bargain for the quality of the service. This was in Bangkok, btw, where a decent stylist should not be hard to find. Try looking around the Saladaeng BTS Station.

#3 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Send CunningMcFar a private message   Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Posted by exacto on 3/2/2009 at 03:10

i look forward to getting my hair cut in thailand, for all the reasons CunningMcFar mentions. i even have a few regular places i like to go in bangkok. of course, it isn't that hard to give a #2 buzz cut either.

but even when i had more hair to make for a more challenging cut, i was pretty pleased with what i got. the thing is, it is difficult to tell by looking at a salon what quality of style and skill-level stylist you'll get. in the old days, the thai barbers and stylists were a bit intimidated working with the different type of hair westerners have. i'm not sure that is as true now as it was then (20 years ago).

i guess i'd say that if your hair style is really important to you, either go to a very up-market place, which may not be any cheaper than back home. otherwise you could be a Jon_Mak_Mak-style victim. as for me, i love the 40-80 baht CunningMcFar special. cheers.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,708
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by mic59 on 3/2/2009 at 18:49

I got my hair cut in Soppong and Kanchanaburi . In Soppong the barber and I had a total language barrier so I just pointed to his previous customer. In Kanchanaburi I was at least understood but I settled for a similar cut to the Thais anyway. I had to go to the barbers to get a shave often as I forgot my razor and my facial hair grows quickly, but a bit of mime worked every time. It was never expensive either, the most I paid was about 60 baht.

#5 mic59 has been a member since 30/7/2008. Posts: 107

Posted by thaiyaikit on 5/2/2009 at 14:14

I have found the best way to make sure you get the haircut you want is to take a photograph or a magazine clipping of the style you want. I have always used the old fashioned barber's shop and paid 70 Baht maximum including a shave. Most places do have a book showing models with different hair styles, so communication should not be a problem.

#6 thaiyaikit has been a member since 20/9/2008. Posts: 32

Posted by BigRoss on 8/2/2009 at 11:54

The only problem I've ever had with a haircut in Thailand was in Chiang Rai, where I had to explain to the (very charming) lady barber that I wanted the massage to end at the neck, rather than head for points South.
I just came back to Australia sporting my recent Laotian haircut, and nobody has made any derogatory comments (or noticed any difference!).

#7 BigRoss has been a member since 17/2/2007. Posts: 19

Posted by kathu on 27/8/2016 at 03:37

I have had haircuts in old fashioned barber shops all over the Kingdom and have always had good ones.Money was not the object of the exercise !

#8 kathu has been a member since 16/12/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by wanderer143 on 6/10/2016 at 11:20

Zenred and the Corner Salon in Bangkok are popular choices among expats. Then again, the above suggestion of showing a photo always works!

#9 wanderer143 has been a member since 2/11/2014. Posts: 68

Posted by amnicoll on 8/10/2016 at 05:52

Hopefully OP found somewhere and is not still looking 7 years after posting this!!

#10 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 811
 Send amnicoll a private message 

Posted by amnicoll on 15/2/2017 at 06:30

sure I go to an excellent barber in Lop Buri for short hair cut

#11 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 811

Posted by wanderer143 on 22/2/2017 at 04:42

Best to have it done in Bangkok though. Most salons in Bangkok offer good haircuts and most of their stylists are able to communicate in English. Yes, showing a photo, even if it's on a smartphone will work too.

#12 wanderer143 has been a member since 2/11/2014. Posts: 68

Posted by amnicoll on 22/2/2017 at 04:52

wanderer 143, my response above (this year) was in response to a post now removed and was very much tongue in cheek

#13 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 811

Posted by somtam2000 on 22/2/2017 at 16:30 admin

There is a hair dresser in Bangkok that revisits this thread once a year or so to spruik their styin' and gets nuked each time (the post amnicoll is referring to)

Points for persistence.

#14 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,789
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.