Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Where to stay on Ko Samui, Pha Ngan, Tao

Posted by Travel2008 on 18/2/2009 at 12:37

We are ending our 6 month round the world trip in Thailand and want to spend a couple of weeks on beaches chilling out.

We have decided on Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Tao. We are looking for quietish beaches where we can relax, swim and have a beer, but nothing too hectic like Chaweng or Hat Rin.

Does anyone have any suggestions of nice beaches with cheap bungalows and not too many package tourists?

Thanks

#1 Travel2008 has been a member since 29/12/2008. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/2/2009 at 16:53 admin

Hi,

These stories should form a good starting point:
What's a good beach on Ko Pha Ngan
What's a good beach on Ko Samui
Ko Tao for non-divers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by simonmobiledisco on 19/2/2009 at 20:23

I've just done all three, tonight is my last night on Tao!

Ko phagan was my favourite place, go to thong nai pan and stay at the dolphin, lovely management and a great quality establishment.

On bottle beach go to Smile, probably the best staff so far and i got them down to 250 bhat a night, which is a bargain. the food is great there too i had the best beef thai salad there!

Samui is OK, but feels like it is missing something, i stayed near big buddha. there is a good place there that names begins with S. it's on the travel fish guide. pointed out above. best beaches are the busy ones, but on the north side chaweng there are some plush resorts with a semi privite sections of beach. Maybe give some of them a go

#3 simonmobiledisco has been a member since 16/1/2009. Posts: 19

Posted by tezza on 20/2/2009 at 15:42

Viewpoint on Tao is in a real nice position and has some budget bungalows.
Ultra cheapie with great views on a nice beach on Phangan - White Wind at Thong Nai Pan Noi. TRAVELFISH often has an advert for Mai Pen Rai bungalows at Hat Sadet - I haven't stayed although I have visited the real nice beach - and that place gets lots of positive posts on travel sites.
Cheapies at Samui are harder, but a TRAVELFISH favourite, Jungle Club gets great reviews. Right on the beach - I'm aiming at OP Bungalows on Chaweng. But I'm tossing up about Hutcha on nice, quieter Mae Nam - bungalows seem a bargain and reviews on sawadee.com and others are very positive.

#4 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Posted by amazon_blonde on 20/2/2009 at 20:17

I stayed at Mai Pen Rai on Ko Phangan in January. It was paradise if you like piece and quiet. 650B for a big bungalow right on the rocks over the ocean where you didn't even notice you had any neighbours. They do have cheaper bungalows by the river, but its worth it to pay the extra $5. Mai Pen Rai is fairly isolated though, so you have to be prepared to eat at their resto 3 meals a day. It was no hardship though, they serve good reasonably priced food. Great escape for 4-7 days.

#5 amazon_blonde has been a member since 20/12/2008. Posts: 116

Posted by simonmobiledisco on 21/2/2009 at 09:16

for a good value place on Samui the mermaid is a decent option if you get a fan room off the beach for 500. not as glam location, but the standard of room for cash is good, although the planes almost touch your heads when they land, but they don't fly at night from samui so the noise stops at night

#6 simonmobiledisco has been a member since 16/1/2009. Posts: 19

Posted by thailandhopper on 15/6/2012 at 15:02

Head to Lamai

#7 thailandhopper has been a member since 15/6/2012. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.