Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Weather question

Posted by kansaicanuck on 4/3/2009 at 15:05

Wondering if anyone has any advice on the weather from April - July.

I can choose to either do SE Asia from Early April to Mid May OR Mid May to Late June.

I need to be in Japan right in the middle of my time off so I have to choose if I go to SE Asia before or after my time in Japan (Mid May). Any thoughts?

#1 kansaicanuck has been a member since 4/3/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 5/3/2009 at 12:08 admin

Hi kansaicanuck,

Thailand weather is detailed here - you'll be basically looking at very hot then wet, or mostly quite wet. Details depend on where in Thailand you have in mind.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by davidjones1952 on 6/3/2009 at 19:59

As usual, Somtam is absolutely correct about what weather to expect in Thailand during the period you mention. I think if you look at when farmers plant and harvest crops, whichever country you visit, you get a good idea of what to expect weatherwise. In Thailand, fields are prepared for planting new crops of rice and other produce in March (weather is hot/sunny/very dry/little humidity) after the Thai New Year (Songkran, mid April) crops are sown and seeds readily germinate as there is a mix of sunshine and high humidity with more frequent rainfall.

This should not put you off visiting Thailand in May. You would get several hours of sunshine each day in most provinces but be prepared for rain showers. The rain, however, is warm and usually a welcome relief from the build up of it. Find a few good places to chill out and you won't even notice it's a tad wet.

#3 davidjones1952 has been a member since 13/11/2008. Posts: 10

Posted by kansaicanuck on 7/3/2009 at 05:29

Hey guys, Thanks for the info. Yeah, basically I have decided to do Thailand, Cambodia, Laos ect in May - June. Seems like I will have more time to travel around there after all. Actually, I am coming from Vancouver, and I just lived through the winter rainy season here where it rains a lot so the warm rain might be a welcome relief!

I had been worried that April might be too hot, dry and as I have heard dusty ect in some places.

Basically I am looking for some nice beaches, around Thailand to check out and relax. In addition I am planning to go to Ankor in Cambodia. Any ideas on when I should plan that part? As I said Mid May - Late June are wide open and I plan to just go with the flow. Cheers!

#4 kansaicanuck has been a member since 4/3/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.