Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand, Laos, Cambodia route?

Posted by hunt_101 on 9/3/2009 at 21:22

4 of us flying into Bangkok on 30/6/2009 and returning home on 1/9/2009. This gives us about 8-9 weeks to check out Thailand, Laos, Cambodia.

None of us have been to SE asia before and would like to get some advice on a decent route to take. Obviously not getting too specific about where we go just a general outline.

We are all in our 20s and so want to try everything whether its jungle treking or zip lining etc. Perhaps incorporating the FMP on 9th July or 6th August. Maybe getting your opinions on that aswell.

Would also be interested in the Gibbon Experience zip lining and wondering if its open during the rainy season?

Hope you dont think this is me just being lazy and i should research more but we have and it just seems a bit overwhelming atm.

Any help appreciated,
great site btw

#1 hunt_101 has been a member since 9/3/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by Tilapia on 10/3/2009 at 02:08

Hi Hunt,

Considering when you are going, I'd take a very close look at what the weather is going to be like in the areas you plan on going to, and use this as a partial guide to figuring out where you will go and when. Weather can be a determining factor if, for example, you plan on going into some of the more remote ares of Cambodia or over to an island or two. Roads wash out and become impassable, and boats may not run when the weather is bad.

If weather is no biggie, and you plan on hitting all three countries, you may want to consider going into Cambodia from Trat province, see what you want to see in Cambodia, then cross into Southern Laos near Si Phan Don, go up through Laos and then drop back into Thailand at Chiang Khong, and head west or south or south and east or wherever. You could also do this in the opposite direction, of course.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,498
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/3/2009 at 07:24 admin

Yup Gibbon Experience is still open in the wet season last I heard.

For itinerary ideas, a good place to start is taking a look at this itinerary (just ignore the Vietnam bit) -- it should give you an idea of how long it takes to get from A to B to C -- there's a bunch of other itineraries as well in there.

Hope that helps & glad to hear you like the site!

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,568
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.