Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Phanom Rung

Posted by Kostichka on 10/3/2009 at 22:05

I am planning my stay in Thailand which is about 50 days. I fly into BKK on April 1st and would like to make it to Phanom by April 4th to see both, the sunrise and the "Ascent of Phanom Rung" festival. Can someone tell me what is the best way to get there for sunrise? Is it be possible to find someone to drive me from Nang Rong at 5AM, or do I have to rely on renting my own transport.
Thanks in advance for your help!

#1 Kostichka has been a member since 26/2/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by CunningMcFar on 10/3/2009 at 23:41

you should be able to find someone to drive you there for sunrise. Motos and taxi pick-ups hang around the bus station, and there are driver services at some of the guest houses. Check with Honey Inn,, they have offer a pick-up with driver for 600THB, 6 hrs, much more reasonable than the driver services at the P. California. I think a/c mini van at P California was about 400THB/hr, OK if you have a group as Rick is incredibly knowledgeable about the history of the region, but his driver rates are astronomical.
Don't miss Wat Khao Angkhan or Prasat Muang Tam . I found Muang Tam to be a richer experience than Phanom Rung, sublime and peaceful in contrast to the crowds and activity at Phanom Rung. Good local food in Nang Rong.

#2 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Send CunningMcFar a private message   Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Posted by Kostichka on 13/3/2009 at 13:58

Thank you for your reply!

I'm currently trying to figure out when is the famous light show. Would that be on the opening ceremony? I got a flyer from TAT that says festivities are April 2-5 with an opening ceremony on April 3rd (Friday). I seem not to find anything else online that confirms this. Of course, I am overbooking myself and I plan to spend 1.5 days in Phanom Rung once I get there :)

#3 Kostichka has been a member since 26/2/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by wayne on 21/3/2009 at 03:03

easiest is to rent a motorbike and head up the hill, it is an easy trip

#4 wayne has been a member since 1/2/2004. Posts: 23
 Send wayne a private message 

Posted by jarvis1 on 17/9/2009 at 23:52

The other choice is Nangrong Hotel, This hotel is located in center of nangrong town. I like these so it near 7-11, night plaza and Morning market. this hotel has sightseeing tour with private car to Phanomrung historical park 1,000 THB or Phanomrung and muangtam ruin 1,200 THB.This rate is for the whole day and pick u back to the hotel in the afternoon. So you don't worry about how you go there in the early morning. It so easy.

#5 jarvis1 has been a member since 27/7/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.