Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Ideas for a short trip out of Pattaya?

Posted by cubedweller on 13/3/2009 at 00:00

Currently in Pattaya and would like to take a short (2 night) trip somewhere. I've been to Koh Samed so I would like to go somewhere new -- flying is an option (out of Bangkok or Pattaya) but would rather not -- any ideas?

#1 cubedweller has been a member since 23/2/2008. Posts: 35

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/3/2009 at 07:53 admin

Si Racha and Ko Si Chang is ok for a night or two -- they're not covered on Travelfish, but they're not bad spots.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,644
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by ChangFai on 13/3/2009 at 08:49

I like Koh Si Chang as a daytrip from Pattaya , dont know if there is enough to keep me occupied for two nights though ?

#3 ChangFai has been a member since 10/4/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 139

Posted by exacto on 13/3/2009 at 11:11

Hi Cube,

I love Ko Samet, so if it were me, I would definitely head there (assuming it was mid week and not over the weekend). But if that doesn't interest you, what about Trat ? Most folks just blow through there on the way to Ko Chang, but the city itself is charming and there should be just the right amount of stuff to keep you busy but give you plenty of time to just relax for those two nights. Read the listings on Travelfish on Trat and see what you think.

Hey, by the way, what did you finally decide to do about your visa? Did you apply for the 60-day tourist visa or did you get 30 days on entry with that planned side trip to Malaysia? Cheers.

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,679
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Thaiman on 13/3/2009 at 14:27

I was going to suggest Chantaburi.Some really nice unspoilt beaches there,or there was 3 years or so ago.Not too many tourists.Also there's some pretty interesting Mangrove swamps which have been turned into a National Park or reserve and you did'nt have to pay.Perhaps you do now though.I think it's one of the very few places left in Thailand where you may get to see a Dugong or Sea Cow.

#5 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201
 Send Thaiman a private message 

Posted by Tilapia on 13/3/2009 at 22:01

How about Bangkok???

... just kidding.

I'll double Exacto's Trat suggestion. I love that place. Terrific night market, and a very relaxed atmosphere with some nice guest houses. A very unassuming provincial capital. Great place to rent a motorbike in and then explore the area along the coast, or the hilly areas up along the Cambodian border.

I like Phimai, as well, for short excursions. But if you're not into Khmer architecture, Trat or Chanthaburi might be better choices. Closer, too (though you can get the train to Khorat.)

#6 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,507
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by donny on 14/3/2009 at 12:41

krabi is a nice island

#7 donny has been a member since 14/3/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by Tilapia on 15/3/2009 at 07:24

Ummmm ... Donny? Krabi is not an island. At least, last time I was there it wasn't.

#8 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,507
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by cubedweller on 15/3/2009 at 16:34

Thanks for the replies everyone... I actually ended up on Koh Samet for two nights... and although it was over the weekend, I had a good time -- just very crowded ;)

I think I'll check out Trat for a night or two before heading to Koh Chang in a few days.

I ended up not getting the two month visa. I just didn't want to take the time off work prior to leaving as would have been necessary. Now I can't decide where to head for my visa-run/side-trip. I'm still heavily leaning toward Malaysia but I am open for ideas? I'll need to book the flight for the 31st, so I've got some time..

#9 cubedweller has been a member since 23/2/2008. Posts: 35

Posted by khunwilko on 17/3/2009 at 10:51

....and Krabi is nowhere near Pattaya.

Check out Keaw Keaw Zoo

avoid the Tiger Zoo at Sri Racha at ALL COSTS!

Koh Sichang is accessible from Koh Loy in Sri Racha.
Sri Racha has a good shopping mall - Robinsons. and many restaurants
Koh Loy is good for an afternoon - look at temples and have some seafood.

Bang Saen is a Thai (bangkok) w/e resort town - loads of seafood and passable beaches. Beware of monkey mountain - Kao Samut.

Sattahip - south of Pattaya has many beaches

#10 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by cybervlad on 20/3/2009 at 12:02

I can suggest more active option instead of just relaxing on the beach :)
I mean Khao Yai National Park and some other attractions near Khorat (Nakhon Ratchatsima), especially Phimai ("Little Angkor"). IMHO, good trip for 2-3 days...

#11 cybervlad has been a member since 6/6/2007. Location: Thailand. Posts: 182
 Send cybervlad a private message   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.