Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chiang Dao - trekking, transport, etc

Posted by citizen on 19/3/2009 at 19:30

Hello all --

Thinking about heading up to Chiang Dao for a couple of days and doing a short trek.

Has anyone got any experience of trekking out of there? E.g. I was looking at some of the guesthouses in Chiang Dao on here that offer treks - seem very expensive but has anyone used them?

Is it possible to get up there and back in a long day from Chiang Mai - or would an overnight be better? What's the transport like there and back? (believe it's about an hour each way)

Someone I was talking to here in Chiang Mai told me Chiang Dao was quite a 'touristy' place (whatever that means to different people) but keen to here from anyone on here who's been as well!

Msny thanks

#1 citizen has been a member since 25/2/2009. Posts: 12

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/3/2009 at 08:21 admin

Bus is the easiest way to get there - takes between one and a half and two hours to get there. I'd definitely overnight rather than visit on a day trip. The trekking is more expensive than somewhere like Chiang Mai but the groups are considerably smaller and the area less "trekked-out".

I wouldn't say Chiang Dao was 'touristy' at all but probably lots of differing opinions on that.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,566
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.