Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Cheap but cheerfulish dorm rooms in Bangkok???

Posted by Finn on 26/3/2009 at 12:15

hey, I was wondering what the best options for dorm rooms in bangkok were? The cheaper the better but not too gross or notorious for theft; I'd pay a little more to avoid these! Due to illness and finance issues i've lost my travel companions so I'd really like somewhere busy where it's easy to meet other backpackers.

#1 Finn has been a member since 26/3/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by daawgon on 27/3/2009 at 00:31

The Baan Dinso was just wonderful - a boutique hostel, not a dorm, but inexpensive. I paid 700THB. Almost X from City Hall, and close to KSR.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,133
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by sirhalberd on 27/3/2009 at 10:15

First, how much do you want to spend per night? Thailand might be cheaper than you think. It could be that your budget can even handle a private room.

Suk 11 Hostel has various type rooms from dorm on up to private rooms.
http://www.suk11.com/

Here is a hotel chain that has some cheaper rooms, Sawasdee Hotel chain.
http://www.sawasdee-hotels.com/

Good luck.

#3 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295
 Send sirhalberd a private message 

Posted by Tilapia on 28/3/2009 at 22:08

Apple II Guest House. I think dorm rooms are around B100, or so. Good spot for meeting backpackers. In a good area, too. Mama, the lady who runs the place, is cool.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Finn on 30/3/2009 at 11:41

Apple II does seem to be my best bet in terms of cheapness. I'd really like to book something just for the convenience of not traipsing round Bangkok with my backpack. I've tried to phone but to no avail, do you think if i just turn up there'd be a place for me??

also, i've found that travelfish say many places have dorms but then their websites don't. Is this because the dorms no longer exist or they just don't advertise them??

thanks for everyone's suggestions! keep them comin!

#5 Finn has been a member since 26/3/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by Tilapia on 30/3/2009 at 20:37

Hi Finn,

There is a dorm room there with 4 beds. It's one of the older guest houses in the area and is in a great location. It's not the fanciest place around, but it's pretty funky and old-school. The rooms aren't big or particularly sunny (it's an old family home in a narrow alleyway surrounded by other old homes) but they're good for the price.

No website. I would be very surprised if you showed up there at this time of the year and was not able to get a room. Check the prices of singles, too. They may not be much more expensive. I think that Mama dropped her prices a bit in December because of the low numbers of tourists coming then.

The place is quite secure. They lock the gate at around 9:30 or 10:00 pm and keep a good eye on the place.

Cheers.

#6 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 31/3/2009 at 07:48 admin

Hi Finn,

Re the disappearing dorms, could be any number of reasons -- including the ones you mention. The cheapest of the cheap generally won't have a website at all. Apple 2, as recommended by Tilapia is a good option.

#7 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.