Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Samui to Ko Pha Ngan?

Posted by dmandel on 2/4/2009 at 11:30

How hard is it to get from Samui (airport) to Ko Pha Ngan? How long does it take? How frequent are the boats?

Also, if I want to get to Thong Nai Pan Noi on Pha Ngan, how much harder is that?

#1 dmandel has been a member since 25/2/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by tezza on 2/4/2009 at 17:10

Go to this site for Than Mai Pen Rai bungalows on Hat Sadet

- it shows a ferry leaving Bo Phut (or maybe big Budha), (both) near the airport at Samui and travelling up the east coast of Phangan, final destination Thong Nai Pan. One trip per day both directions.

For other ferries to Phangan check this site

Most leave from one of the piers near the airport - a lot go to the main Phangan pier at Thong Sala - where Thong Nai Pan bungalows usually have transport to take you to the beach - last time I went was 100baht but probably more now. You don't have to use the bungalow of your transport.

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,344

Posted by autourdumonde3232 on 2/4/2009 at 22:35

It's very very easy actually~
The only thing I can add to the above is my personal experience~
When I did it, my plane came in well past dark and the last boat had already left.. so I grabbed a hotelungalow (can't remember the name but it was about 1km west of the boat dock).. and walked to the boat in the morning (there were I believe 4-5 departures from there each day)..
I hitched/bummed a ride from a wonderful lady I sat next to on the plane, as there were only a small handful of drivers waiting at night and by the time I was done haggling, they had all gone!
On the way back to the airport (during the day this time) there was a sawngtheuw waiting at the dock in Samui when the boat came in that shuttled people to the airport..

P.s. the boat dock mentioned was the closest one to the airport, adjacent to/just west of "big buddha beach"~
The north coast of Samui is a nice place, and there are memorable hikes to the interior from it.. I know it does'nt compare to the secluded spots of PhaNgan, but it is a nice place to hangout for a few days!

Those boats left for Haad Rin.. and from there you could arrange private transport to your beach.. I'm not certain if sawngthaew were running there, but I'm sure a longtail boat could be easily grabbed!
To get to Thong Sala, the direct boat left more west on Koh Samui.
Chok Dii!

#3 autourdumonde3232 has been a member since 26/3/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by dmandel on 3/4/2009 at 23:54

Thank you both.

#4 dmandel has been a member since 25/2/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by ellennn on 22/4/2009 at 21:48

Great info

#5 ellennn has been a member since 22/4/2009. Posts: 11

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.