Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

sending laptop to Thailand

Posted by freeradical on 18/5/2009 at 23:35

I want to send my daughter her laptop from the UK to southern Thailand. She is teaching there for there for the next six months. Any advice on how I could go about doing this safely?

#1 freeradical has been a member since 18/5/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by khunwilko on 19/5/2009 at 14:36

A basic laptop in Thailand costs about 20000 baht - might be cheaper quicker and less risky to buy a new one and either email her files/data or copy it to a CD or stick and post it.

either that or send it with a friend, by hand

#2 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by DShearer86 on 21/5/2009 at 17:46

You can send it by a courier compnay e.g DHL, Fed ex. Shouldn't cost more than about £100-150. As long as she has not been in Thailand for more than 6 months she can import personl effects free of duties and tax (as long as it's just ONE laptop!) The problem with laptops is that their batteries are lithium powered. Lithium batteries are clased as hazardous cargo and some couriers may not handle them. In which case I'm sure she can purchase a new battery in BKK fo fairly cheap.

#3 DShearer86 has been a member since 26/3/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 16

Posted by freeradical on 21/5/2009 at 20:26

Thanks for helpful advice. Think she's going to buy a Notebook there as the safest option, and I get to inherit her laptop!

#4 freeradical has been a member since 18/5/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.