Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Backpack storage at BKK airport - safe?

Posted by khunger on 30/5/2009 at 13:03

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi all,

I'll be reaching Bangkok from Hanoi on Monday morning, and heading South for a week - and then returning to Bangkok for a flight out. I want to leave my big backpack at Suvarnabhumi on my way in, and pick it up a week later for my next flight - has anyone left luggage there for a few days? is it safe and reliable?

Thanks,
Vineet

#1 khunger has been a member since 30/5/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by SBE on 31/5/2009 at 00:35

I haven't actually left luggage at the airport but I've never had any problems with left luggage anywhere else in Thailand.

I'm pretty sure there will be no problems whatsoever but you can always lock and/or wrap your backpack in polythene for extra security.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,019
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by sirhalberd on 3/6/2009 at 10:28

I haven't heard anything recently, I just wouldn't leave anything valuable with them. Also, have a bag that you can lock up. The storage at the airport is not that cheap!

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/134

Many years ago I left bags at hotels for free and come back months later (Sukhumvit Crown Hotel, between soi 6 and soi 8) and nothing was disturbed. I did this for years with this hotel until they raised the hotel prices higher than what I wanted to pay for one night coming back to Thailand and one night before leaving for home. That was several years ago now I don't have to anymore.

#3 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295

Posted by Tennouji on 31/8/2010 at 15:45

I left two locked suitcases for four days 07/09. Everything was fine. I think they refuse to accept certain valuable items, you have to sign a disclaimer. My stuff was mainly clothes, but also some nice presents from Japan.

#4 Tennouji has been a member since 22/9/2007. Location: Japan. Posts: 132

Posted by Captain_Bob on 1/9/2010 at 19:15

They don't accept any electronics or valuables - see http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/134

NO jewelry, watches, antiques, gold, cash, credit cards, perishable goods, fragile articles, electric appliances, mobile phone, shaver, CD player, MP3 player, portable computer, camera (film or digital) or VDO camera accepted.

Once you take away the prohibited items what's left other than used clothing, books and some souveniers no one would want to steal. Should be ok, just allow time for retrieving your bag before the outbound flight, as there can sometimes be a long queue at the counter.

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,891

Posted by domino on 27/11/2010 at 17:44

Yep they should be pretty safe, just have a small lock on your backpack and don't keep valuable items inside, but even if you do, im sure it will still be there!

#6 domino has been a member since 6/1/2010. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.