Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

New Road Guest House

Posted by chatz on 11/6/2009 at 02:57

Hey ppl

Just pondering but i have been researching places to stay in bangkok and i came across New Road Guest House, seems like a quality place to find my feet, however it is not on Khao San Road but on the Charoen Road. Is Charoen far from KSR and how does one get to Chareon Road? As it is my first time to Bangkok, all advice is greatly appreciated : )

#1 chatz has been a member since 7/3/2009. Location: Ireland. Posts: 17

Posted by Tilapia on 11/6/2009 at 03:36

Hey Chatz,

It's nowhere near Khao San Road (which can be a very good thing sometimes.)

Best way to get from one to the other would be by water taxi, formally known as the Chao Phraya River Express boat. Only goes until just after sunset, though (another good thing.)

If you want to be within walking distance to the major temples, KSR, etc., then you might be better off considering staying somewhere in Banglamphoo or Samsen Districts. Personally, I don't recommend staying on KSR.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by chatz on 11/6/2009 at 07:23

Tanx Tilapia

Your advices has been noted and greatly appreciated, i have heard that KSR is extremely seedy place and most places are not very habitable even if i am going to be roughing it.
Do you know the guest house i am on about if so, would you reccommend it?

#3 chatz has been a member since 7/3/2009. Location: Ireland. Posts: 17

Posted by Tilapia on 12/6/2009 at 00:34

I know where the GH is, but I don't know what it's like.

KSR is more of a freak show circus than a seedy place. I don't care for KSR, but it is an eyeful that I usually encourage friends visiting Thailand to experience at least once, especially at night. It used to be a relatively chilled out place with tables and chairs on the road, no massive screens showing football or movies, cassette and clothing sellers, etc. It used to be a good place to meet other travelers, chat, have some beers, and stuff like that. I don't get the sense that it's that kind of place anymore. It's become very gentrified, in fact. The changes that have happened there could be the subject for an entire webpage.

Quite a few of the original bunch of GHs have been renovated and are pretty nice now, but I'd never stay in any of them because I can't stand the location, and they just aren't my style.

However, the crappy concrete cubicles still exist.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/6/2009 at 10:03 admin

I visited the New Road Guest House earlier this year -- review is on the site. It's a pretty good spot -- well away from backpackersville -- but still has a real traveller's vibe. I liked it.

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Skimonkey on 18/6/2009 at 13:34

Hi Chatz

Hope this is not too late for you? I stayed at the New Road GH when I first arrived in Thailand, been here about 5 weeks now, I would recomend it. Although if you stay in a fan room or dorm you may have a disturbed nights sleep as these are over the GH bar. Staff are helpfull & friendly. It's down by pier 1. Traveling up and down the river is the best and coolest way of getting around to the main Tourist spots. If any one tries to stop you before getting onto the boat saying you have to pay X or spouts you some bull just ignore them I paid between 13 & 18 BHT per trip depending on the speed of the boat to get me up to pier 11. You pay on the boat.

#6 Skimonkey has been a member since 16/4/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by chatz on 25/6/2009 at 08:17

zup Skimonkey

Not at all, all info is greatly appreaciated and as i won't be in thailand for another 3 months i'm begining to get a vague picture of what thailand is going to be like when i do actually arrive. This will be my first time to bangkok and everyone i've spoken to has advised me to stay clear of KSR night when i first arrive. New Road Guest House just has this welcoming aura about it for some reason, but as you were once like myself a first time traveller to bangkok, is there newhere else you wud reccommend staying, just say i do arrive in thailand by night, some where close and reasonable.

Cheers

#7 chatz has been a member since 7/3/2009. Location: Ireland. Posts: 17

Posted by Skimonkey on 9/7/2009 at 21:05

Hi chatz

If you do arrive in the dead of night, you may want to stay near the airport, as jet-lag, sore back (airline seats) and everything else that goes with long haul flights makes for a less alert travller and more chance of getting ripped off by Taxi touts.

I fly from Phenom Phen to Bangkok in Sept then out of Bangkok the next day, thus I chose to stay close to the airport at the hotel below. Which I found on the agoda website (a little bit of luxury after all the dives iv'e been staying in).

Great Residence Suvarnabhumi Hotel (also does free pick up from the airport, see hotel info on agoda for pick up location)

http://www.agoda.com/

Just a note for you, if you do go into Bangkok after your flight (it took a little under an hour from the airport to NR Guest House) make sure you get a TAXI METER you can find them upstairs almost at the end of arrivals building when you come through customs. I say this as they are the cheapest way of getting into BKK. It should be around the 400BHT mark. I didn't do this and paid 550bht negotiated down from 800BHT. Some guys I met in the guest house paid 1450BHT for the same trip.

I find that smiling turning around and walking away often helps with price negotiations.

Take it easy.

#8 Skimonkey has been a member since 16/4/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by MADMAC on 12/7/2009 at 23:52

"Personally, I don't recommend staying on KSR."

At the risk of sounding jaded, a lot of people go there, get their dreadlock extensions, make sure they dress the part with a Palestinian scarf and pretend they are in touch and aware. I find it all to be a bit phony and ridiculous.

#9 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Skimonkey on 22/7/2009 at 22:34

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'd agree. Although you also forgot to mention fake degree's driving licences etc etc............

#10 Skimonkey has been a member since 16/4/2009. Posts: 40

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.