Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Buying hiking boots in Bangkok / Chiang Mai...

Posted by misterwoods on 17/6/2009 at 22:08

What are my options?! How do they compare for price to the uk / Ireland?

Cheers...

#1 misterwoods has been a member since 30/4/2009. Posts: 26

Posted by BruceMoon on 18/6/2009 at 06:53

misterwoods

For what purpose is the purchase? To use in Thailand and dispose when leaving? Or, as an alternative to purchasing in the UK and taking back to UK?

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by misterwoods on 18/6/2009 at 18:29

Certainly not to dispose off... I need to buy a new pair and just wondering about my options there.

#3 misterwoods has been a member since 30/4/2009. Posts: 26

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/6/2009 at 18:46 admin

Yes you can buy trekking boots in Thailand -- both real ones, second hand and cheaper rip-off brands. Note unless you're planning on some very very serious walking, some sturdy sandles, like Tevas are more than enough.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by misterwoods on 18/6/2009 at 19:00

Even in wet season would you say tevas or runners are ok?? OR am i better with waterproofs...?

#5 misterwoods has been a member since 30/4/2009. Posts: 26

Posted by BruceMoon on 20/6/2009 at 12:34

misterwoods

It's been my experience that few retailers in SE Asia stock western gear just in case someone wants to buy.

So, work out what YOU want in Ireland, find the price/s. And, if you happen to be in some place where they actually have that brand / size and the price is right, you're in luck.

But, to me, the right boot is more important than saving money.

Cheers

#6 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/6/2009 at 14:37 admin

Unless you're doing some very serious trekking, even in wet season, I'd lean towards some kind of durable sandal rather than something enclosed. For the following reasons:

1) It's open, so no need for socks - so no wet socks
2) It's cooler on the feet
3) They're much easier to lug around than boots -- even if you do use boots for the trek, day to day in Bangkok for example you won't be wearing them, so it's just something else to carry.

If you're opting between runners and boots however, I'd prob go with boots, only cause they're waterproof.

#7 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by dageshi on 20/6/2009 at 17:02

I've bought walking shoes and hiking boots twice in thailand both in thailand, may I strongly suggest you buy them at home instead. Reason being while much footwear is made in SEA it almost all gets exported to the west because certainly with the larger sizes most asian people won't fit into them (too big) so as I found most good boots in larger sizes (I'm size UK 11) and I had to spend alot of time looking for a shop to buy them and when I did there wasn't much of a range and my size cost the same as it would back home.

My 2cents.

#8 dageshi has been a member since 1/3/2008. Posts: 56

Posted by BruceMoon on 21/6/2009 at 09:34

On sandals versus hiking boots, I'll NEVER[/i go for boots.

The only hassle is leeches. But, even with boots, one is not immune. At least with sandals, one can remove the said creature more efficiently.

Cheers

#9 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.