Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Guide Book help

Posted by jakethedog on 2/8/2009 at 00:35

I curently have a Frommers Thailand 7th edition. Frommers has served me well for trips to europe but seems to be lacking some for Thailand.

I saw a Fodors Thailand which seems to have more info and Rough Guide has a new Thai guide book coming out in the fall.

I was looking for some comments, recommendations for guidebooks to complement the Travelfish files.

Thanks Dan

#1 jakethedog has been a member since 22/11/2008. Posts: 20

Posted by BruceMoon on 2/8/2009 at 07:07

Dan

It really depends on what you want from a guide.

Some like the personal readability of rough guides, Frommers, etc.

Others, myslef included, like a guide that merely offers facts - such as Lonely Planet.

I like Lonely Planet because it gives me maps, it advises on 'attractions' - which fall into the categories of:

1. national icons/monuments (religious & other)
2. sites of history (buildings / museums), and
3. non-urban places of interest or enjoyment (ie. parks, waterfalls, etc.).

And, their section on 'Getting There/Away' or 'Getting Around' is exceedingly useful to me.

I think little of the Lonely Planet recommendations for accommodation, but they are useful as a sort of guide to read the Travelfish accommodation options.

As for Thailand, if you are interested in Lonely Planet, go to a 2nd hand shop & get edition 11 (2005). The later versions are the subject of much criticism.

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by jakethedog on 4/8/2009 at 12:16

Thanks Bruce....I guess I will have to compare each to see which one suits my needs.

Regards Dan

#3 jakethedog has been a member since 22/11/2008. Posts: 20

Posted by busylizzy on 4/8/2009 at 14:36

I carried both Lonely Planet and Travelfish e-guides around Thailand last year. The info in TF was far superior in my opinion -easier to read, more reliable and informative reviews on accommodation. Lonely Planet had the better maps, but to be honest, we didn't end up using them that often.

Next year, I will just rely on TF.

#4 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.