Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Flight from Bangkok to Surat Thani??

Posted by mlr on 9/8/2009 at 17:06

Hey!!

Just wondering if anyone thinks we will be making the right move by flying to Surat Thani and then the bus/boat combo to Ko Tao opposed to getting the Lomprayah buffet ticket from Bangkok?

We can get a flight with Air Asia that leaves Bangkok at 11.25 and gets to Surat Thani at 12.35. From what i can work out it then takes approx 1 hour 30 mins to get to the ferry pier and approx 3 hrs to get to Ko Tao by the fast ferry?

Or would we be best starting at Ko Samui for the 1st couple of nights then working our way up to Ko Phang Ngan then Ko tao and return from there?

Cheers!

mlr

#1 mlr has been a member since 3/5/2009. Posts: 31

Posted by Jon_Mak_Mak on 9/8/2009 at 21:46

I've took a flight to Samui and then a boat to Ko Phangan but not on the same day. I can't see a problem with doing what you said. It would be good to see Samui first and then go on from there.

I've also got the train from BKK to surat thani and then the boat onto samui I like travelling by train and plan to use the train when im next in thailand.

#2 Jon_Mak_Mak has been a member since 21/2/2007. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 464
 Website 

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/8/2009 at 07:10 admin

I'd say it depends how long you are planning on the islands in total. Going via Surat Thani to Ko Tao is the "long way" as far as miles are concerned and if you're not fussy about overnight travel I'd lean towards a night bus from Bangkok to Chumphon and then get the Lomprayah boat from there.

That said, if you've a lot of time, island hop by all means.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by mlr on 10/8/2009 at 15:54

Thanks for your feedback!

I think we have got approx 2 weeks for Southern Thailand and we have got a flight booked from Phuket up to Bangkok at the end.

Ideally we would like to cover the islands ( Ko Samui , etc) down to Khao Sok National Park, down to Krabi are, see the Phang Nga National Park & then end up in Phuket but im not sure if this is going to be too much for 2 weeks!?

The only plus point iv found is i think once we actually getto Ko Samui there doesn't seem to be massive distances to cover to get to all the other places, is this the case?

We will be staying at Bangkok for a night between us heading back from Cambodia & then heading down South. Would we be best taking the early morning Lomprayah bus (6am) to get down to Ko Tao for 2.45pm or are we best chilling out in Bangkok for the day & taking the 9pm overnight bus? Is there much to see (out the windows) on the way down if we were to take the daytime bus?

#4 mlr has been a member since 3/5/2009. Posts: 31

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.