Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thai Boxing Camp?

Posted by incognitachikita on 21/8/2009 at 23:24

I'm looking to travel to Thailand to attend a boxing camp and train in Muay Thai.

I'm a 29y/o female with some experience in martial arts, Muay Thai included, but in this context, I would call myself a beginner. I'm not looking to be a professional, or even fight necessarily, but I'd like the experience of rigorous training for a few weeks or possibly months, depending on how things go.

I'm looking for a school that is reasonably priced and relatively authentic, whatever that means. That is open to beginngers/foreigners, but is not solely for that purpose. That trains actual Thai boxers, that is maybe off the beaten path a little, and that has some members that speak english, because unfortunately I don't have a second language, other than my poor Spanish.

In my research I have come across Lanna Boxing Camp, or “Kiat Busaba”, in Thailand’s northern capital city of Chiang Mai. I was wondering if anyone had any experience/info on this or any other boxing school? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

#1 incognitachikita has been a member since 21/8/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by MADMAC on 22/8/2009 at 11:50

Hey little sister, there is a gym in Ubon Ratchathani that is training a handful of foreigners AND Thais (together). It is deep in Isaan, and not on a tourist track. I've been to some of their fights - they can fight. It's a very tough sport, but you are obviously aware of this. If you are interested, I will see if I can get you more details. Not a lot of women in the sport though (but there are some). To get a fight you'll probably have to actually fight in Bangkok.

#2 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by incognitachikita on 26/8/2009 at 00:27

Thanks for your response! Any info would be helpful. I'll check out the link you included too.

#3 incognitachikita has been a member since 21/8/2009. Posts: 3

Posted by somtam2000 on 26/8/2009 at 07:17 admin

There is Horizon on Ko Pha Ngan: http://www.horizonmuaythai.com/ It's quite out of the way and I'd imagine most of the students are foreigners, but could be worth a look.

There is also a muay thai gym walking distance from Khao San Road -- it definitely trains both Thais and foreigners. No website that I know of, but anyone on KSR will be able to point you in the right direction. There is a story about it here: http://www.khaosanroad.com/nicole/nicolepage.htm

Cheers

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.