I'm planning a trip which involves travelling from Hanoi through Laos and Cambodia and then in to Thailand. From the 1st Dec -> 11th I plan on attending Suan Mokhh for a 10 day meditation. After that my only plan is to go to the Full Moon party for new years, and then fly to Australia.
1. Is it best to get a Tourist visa before I leave? Or visit an Embassy in Vientiane or Svannakhet on my way past?
2. How far in advance should I turn up to Koh Phangan! Will 19th be early enough to find a decent place to stay?
3. What options do I have in getting to Australia on the cheap from Bangkok?
Thank you in advance for any help :)
#1 dan567 has been a member since 23/8/2009. Posts: 9
1) i'd get the visa in Vientiane, but Savannakhet also works -- 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.
2) December is going to be a crazy month on KPN. For background-reading, give this a a whirl:
It's dated, but the advice holds -- if you're happy with budget shacks and don't want to be too close to the party, I'd be angling towards Ao Plaay Laem, north of Thong Sala, but there are a LOT of options!
3) Good question, if I could figure that out I'd be seeing my parents more often! If you're not picky about where you're flying into, then look into AirAsia flights into Perth from KL and Bali, also kinda cheapish routes to Darwin from Bali.
#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
Send somtam2000 a private message Where has somtam2000 been? Website Twitter Facebook Flickr Google+ Instagram Pinterest
1. Whatever is easiest for you. I personally tend to organise before I leave where I can. But some appear to like to leave options open and address the visa bit later.
2. I can't answer this, but posts elsewhere on Travelfish suggest it's not so much when you turn up, as whether yu can actually get accommodation during that critical period. Those doing their planning early talk about pre-booking accommodation. And, over the past month or so, there have been comments that accommodation is already somewhat fully booked in some places.
3. Try Jetstar, either from Bangkok (BKK) or Phuket (HKT). But, early Jan is holiday time in Oz, so the prices will be somewhat higher than after end jan. Another alternative is to fly BKK or HKT to Kuala Lumpur, and then on to Australia by AirAsiaX. Tiger Airways does BKK or HKT to Perth in Australia (via Singapore). You can take a Perth - Melbourne flight from there. Currently, prices for (say) 20 Jan are:
Jetstar: HKT - SYD A$350
AirAsiaX: HKT - KL - Mel A$315
Tiger: HKT - SGN - PER - MEL A$445
BKK >> similar prices.
Hope this helps.
Thanks, I'll take a look at the flights. Might stretch my stay in Thailand a few weeks after January then if it might be cheaper to fly then. Would it be easy to book something whilst i'm out there? Or is it best to book something now and try and work to a set date?
#4 dan567 has been a member since 23/8/2009. Posts: 9