Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Buying Chiang Mai flight from airport

Posted by thesage on 27/8/2009 at 15:05

We are arriving in Bangkok at 14.40 and would like to catch the flight to Chiang Mai at 17.15 from Thai Air. We may have to overnight in Bangkok, but we won't know until we get to Thailand.

Is it possible to buy flight tickets to Chiang Mai from Thai Air at the airport, or must be book in advance?
(We are coming in on another airline, but to the same airport).

What are the chances of there being place on the flight at the end of September? Are these flights usually booked up?

Thank you

#1 thesage has been a member since 27/8/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by SBE on 27/8/2009 at 16:46

You don't say which airport you are flying into. I've a feeling Thai Air has moved all its domestic operations to Suvarnabhumi but I'm not sure.

If so, then there are lots of flights from Suvarnabhumi to Chiang Mai on Air Asia too (and Air Asia is much cheaper than Thai Air).

From Don Muang you have other budget options, Nok Air and One2Go.

Either way, I think you'll probably be able to get on a flight to CM OK, especially in September as it's low season.

Prices will be higher than if you book in advance though.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by thesage on 27/8/2009 at 16:49

Yes, Suvarnabhumi.
The choice of Thai Air was their convenient hours.

Thank you.

#3 thesage has been a member since 27/8/2009. Posts: 11

Posted by BruceMoon on 28/8/2009 at 06:50

thesage

I don't know what the price of Thai Air is for you, but AirAsia has flights at US$46 BKK - CNK departing 19:10, and also 20:40.

As SBE suggests, it's not peak season, and there are several operators. But, that said, unless you hold grave fears that your inbound flight will be delayed/cancelled, it may be advisable to secure an onwards flight.

Maybe choose to allocate a few hours at BKK airport in case of delay. Also, AirAsia offer you an insurance option in case you cannot meet the departure time (but check the details to be sure).

Cheers

#4 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by thesage on 28/8/2009 at 13:15

Thai Air is only a few USD more. I shall try to book in advance with flexibility option.

Thank you all very much.

#5 thesage has been a member since 27/8/2009. Posts: 11

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.