Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Khao Sok national park.... yes/no?

Posted by boleslav on 30/8/2009 at 03:16

Hello,
We plan to travel to Thailand in November and would like to visit a Khao sok national park.

We are more independent travelers who prefer to explore hiking trails, kayak, swim, do caving.

After reading about the park it seems that we can do many of such activities there. Can they be done without use of the guide, as mentioned above, we prefer to be independent and not to rely on services of the guides, unless we do some serious caving (where the guide is necessary for the trail finding).

Another concern we have is we do not particularly enjoy crowds, how busy can we expect this park to be, can we find some peaceful accommodation there?
appreciate any help.

#1 boleslav has been a member since 30/8/2009. Posts: 86
 Send boleslav a private message 

Posted by BruceMoon on 30/8/2009 at 06:20

boleslav

This is a reasonably popular park, and so around the accommodation area, you will encounter people. That said, there are very few national parks in SE Asia in reasonable proximity to travel routes that are devoid of people.

There are tours that take people along well walked paths. There are areas where the tourists don't appear to go.

When I was there several years ago, the park staff had a map available of the area. For me, that would have been sufficient to both get away from crowds and experience the area.

Perhaps you might be best to email the park directly and ask about resources like maps, etc. Go to:

http://www.khaosok.com/index.htm

The map on that site shows you the 'space' available for trekking etc.

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/8/2009 at 09:54 admin

No need for a guide in Khao Sok. The trails are quite limited though and if you really want to get into wilderness and have camping gear, Kaeng Krachan (approached from Phetburi) is a better choice.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by tezza on 1/9/2009 at 16:35

Yep, I did the trails in the main part of the park unguided. But I did enjoy the guided Lake Trip.

#4 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,345
 Website 

Posted by boleslav on 3/9/2009 at 01:05

very helpful, thank you both.

#5 boleslav has been a member since 30/8/2009. Posts: 86
 Send boleslav a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.