Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

What market to visit ?

Posted by boleslav on 11/9/2009 at 21:18

We will be in Thailand for 3 weeks, visiting Bangkok and Chiang Mai. We'd like to visit a local market, to see the color, smell the spices, food, enjoy the local fare.
What market would you recommend for us to see for authenticity (not interested in purchasing pirated video, T shirts from China nor electronic ... )
thank you,

#1 boleslav has been a member since 30/8/2009. Posts: 86
 Send boleslav a private message 

Posted by somsai on 11/9/2009 at 21:27

In Chang Mai the Walolot or Warorot however it's spelled. Three or four floors, you'll be sure to smell the "spices" also great food to go. Dominates the surrounding blocks with traffic coming and going through narrow lanes. Best market I've yet to see in SEAsia.

#2 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568
 Send somsai a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 12/9/2009 at 07:13 admin

Agree with somsai - other good markets in Bangkok include:

Thewet market: smallish but very accessible, a lot of fish and fresh veges. Easy walking distance from Khao San Road

Khlong Toei: One of the biggest wet markets in Bkk. Huge meat section (the live chook bit is not for the squemish) tremendous amount of seafood and then everything from corn to canned tomatoes. It's a cab ride or also accessible via the subway.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SBE on 12/9/2009 at 14:04

In Bangkok you could try the large Aw Taw Kaw market near Chatuchak too. It's open every day I think.

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 12/9/2009 at 16:34

Siam Paragon is nice.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by somsai on 12/9/2009 at 20:33

Madmac Siam Paragon is what I'm familiar with in Bangkok and I don't think that's what they're after.

Embarrased to say I've never been to a big local market in Bangkok. I've put Aw Taw Kaw, Klong Toei, and Thewet in my to do list for next time.

#6 somsai has been a member since 1/3/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 568
 Send somsai a private message 

Posted by wanderingcat on 12/9/2009 at 23:20

somsai, think Or Tor Kor (Aw Taw Kaw) is what you will like:
http://www.austinbushphotography.com/2008/06/or-tor-kor-market.html

& also Nang Loeng market:
http://www.austinbushphotography.com/2006/11/nang-loeng-market.html
(has a relatively famous duck with 'palo' egg kuaytiaw stall; hopefully the red/yellow shirts don't act up in the area again...)

for those interested in flowers (& making of phuang malai garlands), Pak Khlong market late at night:
http://www.thaiwave.com/benjarong/beyondphuket/pakklongtalat.htm

about Khlong Toey market...don't wish to alarm, but just FYI disputes there have turned ugly before - 2 grenade incidents late last year & fatal shooting earlier this year, things got a bit confrontational over plans to redevelop the place. targets are market security guards & vendors, but perhaps those interested in visiting should ask around & find out more on current situation, just in case things flare up again.

#7 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Send wanderingcat a private message   Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by MADMAC on 13/9/2009 at 01:06

"Embarrased to say I've never been to a big local market in Bangkok. I've put Aw Taw Kaw, Klong Toei, and Thewet in my to do list for next time."

Somsai
Personally I don't think you're missing anything. They tend to stink, get pretty damn hot (you know Bangkok - concrete jungle which retains heat)... you can get some good deals if you're willing to haggle a lot. I recently bought five shirts that I really did like in Klong Toey for 80 baht a whack - and they are pretty nice. I find those markets OK for practical reasons, but I would never go to one just to "experience it". The experience is wrestling with crowds, being hot and putting up with odors that would make a billy goat puke. Siam Paragon is much nicer.

#8 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by boleslav on 16/9/2009 at 02:09

Thanks a lot for your replies and suggestions!

#9 boleslav has been a member since 30/8/2009. Posts: 86
 Send boleslav a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.