Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

pattaya or bangkok?

Posted by jasonkim8486 on 22/9/2009 at 08:03

any difference in terms of the 'scene' between bangkok and pattaya, other than the fact that pattaya has beaches? im wondering if i should skip pattaya since im landing in bangkok and going to travel south ending up in phuket. am i going to be missing out or is it the same as bangkok?

#1 jasonkim8486 has been a member since 15/9/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 81

Posted by exacto on 22/9/2009 at 08:45

pattaya isn't a particularly popular destination on this site, witnessed by the fact that somtam has elected not to cover it. but it isn't without its charms either.

there is an excellent description of pattaya floating around on travelfish written by khunwilko that sums up the place perfectly. pattaya's strengths are shopping, inexpensive accommodation, and a great variety of good food. it is a serious girlie bar center, which is a plus for some and a negative for others. the beaches there are no great shakes.

if you were heading off in that general direction towards ko samet or trat or ko chang, i might say give it a look. but since you'll be heading in the opposite direction down the other side of the gulf, it doesn't really make sense to visit pattaya. almost anything that you'd be able to get in pattaya is readily available in bangkok, and the beaches will be much better almost anywhere else down south.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by mattocmd on 22/9/2009 at 09:05

I agree with exacto. Your time would be better spent further south.

However, Pattaya does have some of the best people watching in the world!

#3 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365
 Send mattocmd a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 22/9/2009 at 11:38

I got the impression that Jason is interested in the girls... I've said this before, but if Thailand is the Mecca of whoring, then Pattaya is the Kaba. Lot's of women, lot's of funky goings on, prices for women are cheaper than most other places in Thailand, certainly cheaper than Bangkok. If it's women you are interested in, then Pattaya is your place.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 22/9/2009 at 12:36 TF writer

Vermont is for lovers. Pattaya is for sex tourists.

#5 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Send idreamofdurian a private message   Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by MADMAC on 22/9/2009 at 14:53

"Vermont is for lovers. Pattaya is for sex tourists."

Vermont is for lovers? Well, it would not be my choice for finding a lover - that's for sure.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by sirhalberd on 23/9/2009 at 03:56

Phuket has better beaches than Pattaya or nearby Jomtien. If you are tight on spending money then Pattaya will be a better choice. Hotels, restaurants and transportation are cheaper in Pattaya than Phuket or Bangkok. Beach is only good for walking, sunbathing, shopping, street vendors, restaurants and bars; tourists usually use hotel pools if they want to get wet or use a beach at Jomtien. You have to take a long bus ride or fly to Phuket, then you have to take expensive taxi rides to get to your hotel. For Pattaya you take a cheap bus from Ekamai bus station (under 120 baht) and in 2 hours you are in Pattaya. You can do both Pattaya and Phuket if you want. Depends on what you want to do. Up to you!

#7 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295
 Send sirhalberd a private message 

Posted by sirhalberd on 23/9/2009 at 04:08

Yeah, especially if you are looking for a lover of the same sex!

#8 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295

Posted by MADMAC on 23/9/2009 at 13:07

Sir Halberd sums it up well. I don't like Pattaya, because there's just oo much temptation there and I want to keep things right with my wife. But if I were single... holy cow, that's the place to be.

Phuket is far pricier across the board, as our good knight points out.

#9 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by khunwilko on 23/9/2009 at 20:15

I agree with Exacto!

#10 khunwilko has been a member since 27/1/2007. Posts: 560

Posted by sidewinder on 23/9/2009 at 20:52

I've never been to Pattaya (save for a 10 minute stop on the way to Ko Samet) but from seeing pictures and hearing stories, it sounds like the worst parts of Bangkok and elsewhere, but amplified?

I'm male, single, young, and I like to party, but it still sounds like somewhere I dont really want to go...girly bars=annoying, hookers=not interested, loads of english 'lads'=aggressive atmosphere

Maybe I'm being unfair and should stop there for a night next time, but its just like, if there are better beaches and good nightlife elsewhere, but with less sleaze, whats the point?

#11 sidewinder has been a member since 11/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 57
 Send sidewinder a private message   Twitter   Instagram 

Posted by williamtaylor on 23/9/2009 at 22:11

I get the feeling that a lot of people who write Pattaya off haven't actually been there. (We are too busy with the higher cultural pursuits such as the full moon party?)

#12 williamtaylor has been a member since 9/6/2009. Location: Japan. Posts: 29
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by sayadian on 23/9/2009 at 22:45

In March my son and I had just flown in from Hanoi and had 2 nights left before flying back to europe.It was getting to the hot season so we decided to spend the last couple of days in Pattaya rather than go to a sweaty Bangkok.Neither of us had been there before even though I have been to Thailand on many occasions.Buses go there directly from the airport and take two hours which isn't much more than it takes to get into Bangkok.I expected the worse but it was OK.The shopping is excellent and I would go so far as to say you have a better choice and prices are cheaper and it's vastly preferable to an overcrowded Thai market.Everybody was really friendly and hotel and bar prices were less than Bangkok.The girls are certainly not in your face unless you want that kind of thing and go to Walking Street.(yes, we went there to take a look)All in all it's a great place to unwind if you've been travelling and you've got a bit of time to wait for your flight.Don't write it off.

#13 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by mattocmd on 23/9/2009 at 23:26

sayadian actually made an excellent point.

No offense to anyone who lives there, but I really don't like Bangkok. I have been there about five times (sometimes for weeks).

You don't always have time to go to the southern beaches but want to relax at a beach. Pattaya might be your answer. Sure the number of hookers is similar to the number of tourists...but everyone is friendly, it's a very interesting place and pretty cheap.

Even if GO GO Bars aren't your thing, I have been there twice (once with a male friend and once with a female friend) and had a good time both times just drinking on the street/at the beach, shopping, people watching, beer bars, etc...

If you have plenty of time, def hit up the islands...but if you have only a couple of days than I agree with sayadian, Pattaya might be your best bet!

#14 mattocmd has been a member since 13/6/2007. Location: United States. Posts: 365
 Send mattocmd a private message 

Posted by furneburner on 24/9/2009 at 04:33

I've only been to Pattaya once, and it was a convenience thing as opposed to actually wanting to stay there.

It's got a few things going for it like the others said:
good/cheap shopping
good/cheap food
variety of good value hotels
great for people watching
all the girls/boys/shemales you could want including africans and blacks (of course if u are into that)

But even with me being a young man at the time, the fact that some dirty dirty looking, horribly dressed prostitutes walk around ALL day and night in places like the shopping malls and Macdonalds of all places is a bit of a turn off.

However, SOMTAM, why would you choose to not cover Pattaya, but still cover a place like PATONG?

#15 furneburner has been a member since 5/9/2009. Posts: 180

Posted by MADMAC on 24/9/2009 at 12:30

"I've never been to Pattaya (save for a 10 minute stop on the way to Ko Samet) but from seeing pictures and hearing stories, it sounds like the worst parts of Bangkok and elsewhere, but amplified?"

I've heard it described as Patpong on steroids. I don't think that's exactly accurrate, but there is plenty of cheap, naughty nightlife.

#16 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/9/2009 at 15:35 admin

Why don't we cover Pattaya?

Well could you imagine having to write the bar section?!

We cover Patong because it is an integral part of Phuket, and it would have looked odd if we didn't cover it. Plus it is a very popular family destination (yes I know, families go to Pattaya as well), but as (at the moment) we cover nowhere else near Pattaya it was an easier one to skip.

I think describing it as "Patong on steroids" is pretty much on the money. Some of the most bizarre stories on Thailand I've ever heard have come out of Pattaya.

#17 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by furneburner on 24/9/2009 at 17:10

Fairy nuff,

However, whilst not "near" pattaya, pattaya is kinda on the way to Samet and Koh Chang, is it not? These are covered..

Anyway, i'm not complaining, it's not like one would need a guide for pattaya and you more than make up for it for everywhere else covered!

#18 furneburner has been a member since 5/9/2009. Posts: 180

Posted by MADMAC on 24/9/2009 at 17:40

Besides anyone can just ask here on the pages. I stayed there for a week with my wife... very interesting.

#19 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by exacto on 24/9/2009 at 23:01

Pattaya is sort of on the way to Samet and Chang, but not really, since the buses from BKK to those places typically go inland and not through Pattaya.

Pattaya isn't a major destination for the Travelfish crowd, at least based on message board activity, and it is covered pretty well on other sites, so I can understand why Travelfish spends its efforts elsewhere.

Khunwilko's write-up about Pattaya is really good too. Anyone intersted could use that as a basis.

Now, having said all that, if the only problem with covering Pattaya is finding someone to write the bar section, I bet there are a few folks out there who'd be willing to take one for the team! :-)

#20 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,685
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by DLuek on 24/9/2009 at 23:34 TF writer

"Vermont is for lovers? Well, it would not be my choice for finding a lover - that's for sure."

Wow, Vermont getting mention on Travelfish!? (This tiny state happens to be my home).

So MADMAC, what's wrong with looking for love in the Green Mountain State? Have you ever been to Burlington (also known as "Girlington"), which is where I'm writing from right now?

I, for one, would rather be here in Vermont than in Pattaya, which happens to probably be my least favorite place in Thailand I've been before - not big into the seedy thing.

I love Bangkok though, and if you are looking for what you're sure to see in Pattaya, I'm sure Pat Pong would serve just fine.

Vermont IS for lovers (and maple syrup, skiing, seeing cows, being near Canada... well, that's about it!)

#21 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by sayadian on 25/9/2009 at 00:33

As I said further above I've only been to Pattaya once and that was just to kill a bit of time waiting for a flight.I enjoyed it and so did my 19 year old son.A lot on here seem to look down on it because it's 'seedy'. I wonder what their definition of seedy is.
Myself, I find KhaoSan Road seedy.Full of scammers and hustlers and please don't tell me it isn't full of hookers, just open your eyes.Though saying that the majority are ladyboys.
I find Koh Samui the pits.Probably up there among the top ten seedy places on the planet.
Is it just because there are hookers in Pattaya that put off people! well people I've got news for you, they are everywhere.
Is it rowdy, noisy drunks? in that case don't go to Phuket or Koh Samui.Come on people lets have your definition of seedy.

#22 sayadian has been a member since 15/1/2008. Posts: 1,557
 Send sayadian a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 25/9/2009 at 03:18

"Wow, Vermont getting mention on Travelfish!? (This tiny state happens to be my home).

So MADMAC, what's wrong with looking for love in the Green Mountain State? Have you ever been to Burlington (also known as "Girlington"), which is where I'm writing from right now?"

DLuek
Is Bernie Sanders still the mayor up there?

I went to Norwich University. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time in Vermont. And a beautiful place it is - but damn cold!!!

The problem with looking for love in the "Green Mountain State" is it's short of people. Lots of space, but not a lot of folks.

Burlington is nice - but a little too white for my liking. Nothing personal.

#23 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by DLuek on 25/9/2009 at 06:38 TF writer

MADMAC,

Agreed on VT being 'short on people' and too 'damn cold.' I just had to defend my home state when given the chance!

Bernie Sanders is actually a US senator now, and Burlington is getting much more diverse these days, with relatively large Vietnamese and Thai communities for one thing.

Vermont's okay, but I'm re-thinking my statement that I''d rather be here than in Pattaya. If I could be transported to Pattaya in an instant, I'd be there!

#24 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,185
 Send DLuek a private message   Website   Twitter 

Posted by sirhalberd on 25/9/2009 at 10:05

"I've never been to Pattaya (save for a 10 minute stop on the way to Ko Samet) but from seeing pictures and hearing stories, it sounds like the worst parts of Bangkok and elsewhere, but amplified?"

I come across this pretty often - "I have never been there so you should not go there!" Or "I read something, that Pattaya is no good, too dirty or something like that - so don't go there!"

"I'm male, single, young, and I like to party, but it still sounds like somewhere I dont really want to go...girly bars=annoying, hookers=not interested......"

Lots of young travelers like to head for the full moon parties at Koh Phangan; stand around navel gazing, getting wasted on dope and drinking excessively, getting hit on by aging hippies and that is supposed to be more socially acceptable than going to Pattaya?

I never had a bar girl or bar owner force me to do anything in Pattaya against my will, maybe I have more will power!

Up to you!

#25 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295

Posted by Tilapia on 15/10/2009 at 21:10

"boisterous charm"

That is such a great phrase!!!

#26 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by jasonkim8486 on 16/10/2009 at 02:42

hehe wow amelia you sound like you work for a tour agency. great pitch but i decided on skippin pattaya.

#27 jasonkim8486 has been a member since 15/9/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 81

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.