Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

similan islands..

Posted by jasonkim8486 on 24/9/2009 at 08:27

are there accommodations on any of the similan islands? or do i need to stay on the mainland and make day trips?

#1 jasonkim8486 has been a member since 15/9/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 81

Posted by tezza on 24/9/2009 at 09:03

Both rooms and tents at the National Park Headquarters. Not a bad restaurant either.
I haven't actually stayed at the Similans apart from overnighting on Poseidons snorkelling trip boat, but both NP accommodation options looked fine to me and having stayed in rooms at both Tarutao and Adang I'm sold on NP accommodation. Not bad value either. Google the NP website for prices etc.

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Posted by christof on 24/9/2009 at 10:28

Yeh. National Park accommodation is pretty good and cheap.

In that respect the Similan Islands are no different. You can stay in National Park tents or bungalows quite cheaply. Surin Islands are the same.

http://www.dnp.go.th/parkreserve/asp/style1/default.asp?npid=212&lg=2

is a link to the Similan Islands page on the Thailand National Park website. It should tell you all you need to know.

To keep costs down don't get talked in to doing a package snorkeling trip, just get the transfer and do the rest yourself. Its pretty easy.

#3 christof has been a member since 23/7/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 55
 Website 

Posted by squae on 17/10/2009 at 04:15

Looked at the site.

It appears that there is accommodation on 2 of the islands. Meang & Similan.

Does anyone know.

1) Which has better snorkeling (and access to better snorkeling)
2) Which has the nicer accommodation?

Thanks for any help.

#4 squae has been a member since 15/10/2009. Posts: 24

Posted by jasonkim8486 on 20/10/2009 at 08:19

is there any nightlife on the similans? and whats the jump off point to get there??

#5 jasonkim8486 has been a member since 15/9/2009. Location: United States. Posts: 81

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.