Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Samet to Samui

Posted by greenman42 on 30/9/2009 at 05:23

Hi, I'm looking for advice on the most practical way of getting from Koh Chang or Koh Samet, to Koh Samui and Koh Phanghan. Is there a better way than back to Bangkok, bus/train to Chumpon/Surat Thani?
I want to be on Phanghan for full moon/new year's eve. Will travelling be espescially difficult around 23/24 Dec? Lastly, what date should I look to get there to secure a room, as I will probably not be booking in advance?

#1 greenman42 has been a member since 18/9/2009. Posts: 63

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/9/2009 at 07:49 admin

You pretty much have to go via Bangkok.

Ko Chang or Ko Samet to Bangkok, then straightforward transport south (Bangkok to the silly islands is covered here: https://www.travelfish.org/feature/57 )

Travelling won't be difficult on 24/25th, but finding a room will be. I think the majority of places on Ko Pha Ngan that can be booked online for the xmas period are already fully booked so you'll need to work on a walk-in basis. I'd suggest getting there 20th, 21st to have a better selection.

There's a couple of stories on this here, the latter will be of particular interest I think.
Do I need reservations for my holiday?
Should I reserve a room for the full moon party?

Hope that helps

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by exacto on 30/9/2009 at 11:10

It looks like Bangkok Airways is still operating a daily flight from Pattaya/U-Tapao Airport to Samui for about B 2,000. If you've got the money, that might be an alternative to transiting through Bangkok, and given the time and effort you'd save, it might even be a good value.

I've never done the flight, however, so I can't say how difficult or expensive it is to get to the airport from Pattaya or Rayong. I'd love to hear more details about that part of the trip if you or anyone else has done it. Cheers.

#3 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,686
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by tezza on 30/9/2009 at 18:10

http://www.bangkokair.com/travel_tools/route-map.php

Besides the route mentioned by exacto you can also fly from Trat near Ko Chang to Bangkok and then to Samui.

#4 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,345
 Website 

Posted by greenman42 on 30/9/2009 at 19:42

Thanks guys I will look into those flights, as time may be of the essence on those dates. Certainly sounds easier. Thanks for the links Tezza, your blog will become my island guide once I'm there, nice one!

#5 greenman42 has been a member since 18/9/2009. Posts: 63

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.