Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

tsunami Alert?

Posted by vivekkrishna on 1/10/2009 at 13:27

I leave for Phuket in 6 hours and am obviously terrified. I know the Tsunami alert has been canceled, but what does this exactly mean? How is the weather now? My itinerary also includes phi phi for 4 days (from 3rd oct onward)

I'm hysterical..this was going to be my first trip to Thailand and I couldn't wait to be there.

Can someone please tell me how things are actually over in phuket?

#1 vivekkrishna has been a member since 14/9/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by boxee on 1/10/2009 at 14:19

hello vivekkrishna

i have just spoken to my friend who live in phukket town , she said that there was a warning in patong beach last night , but that was just for safety, now the warning has finished. she has been watching the news and every think is ok , the weather is good and no rain

have a good trip

danny

#2 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131
 Send boxee a private message 

Posted by MADMAC on 1/10/2009 at 15:03

What happened in Phuket is a rare event. You have a MUCH bigger chance of being killed in a plane crash on the way to Phuket, or in the taxi going from the airport to your hotel, than you do of being killed in by a Tsunami. Relax and enjoy your vacation.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by vivekkrishna on 1/10/2009 at 15:15

Hi Danny,

Thanks a ton for the info and positive news!
You've put my mind at ease.
I'll come back and post after my vacation!

#4 vivekkrishna has been a member since 14/9/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by vivekkrishna on 1/10/2009 at 15:18

Hi MADMAC, thanks. Found your reply oddly comforting! I'll be a little paranoid on my flight though ;)

#5 vivekkrishna has been a member since 14/9/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by MADMAC on 1/10/2009 at 17:19

"I'll be a little paranoid on my flight though ;)"

I always am too.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by vivekkrishna on 12/10/2009 at 13:58

Just got back from Thailand and it was the most incredible holiday ever! I have already started planning (and saving up!) for a second trip in Nov 2010! Thailand was incredible and I have a serious case of post-holiday blues now..

My worries (about the forces of nature) were of-course completely unfounded. I think I just got a little paranoid.

A big 'thank you' to this site, because it was travelfish that got me so crazy about Thailand! I have been hooked to Travelfish since the last 6 months and it has been an amazing source of information. The travelfish guides were worth every penny too!

#7 vivekkrishna has been a member since 14/9/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by boxee on 12/10/2009 at 18:36

i know how u feel vivekkrishna , i went thailand for the first time last May for a 2 week holiday , when i got back i gave my notice to my job and booked a ticket for october , i had the best 4 months of my life !!

i wanted to travel to other place like canbodia and loas , but every time i got close i did not want to leave thailand so i just stayed.

danny

#8 boxee has been a member since 26/3/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 131
 Send boxee a private message 

Posted by vivekkrishna on 13/10/2009 at 15:14

"when i got back i gave my notice to my job and booked a ticket for october"

Danny, I totally get why you did that! I wish I had the guts to do that too! Sigh..

#9 vivekkrishna has been a member since 14/9/2009. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.