Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Train travel from KL to Phuket (or closest)

Posted by jweston on 5/10/2009 at 20:23

Hi. Going to travel by train from KL towards Phuket. Best stop to get off? then what? what is the train like in terms of comfort?

Thanks for any help.

Joan

#1 jweston has been a member since 5/10/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/10/2009 at 07:12 admin

There's a general wrap on the Thai train system here. For Phuket the best stop to get off at is Surat Thani (the station is actually a little out of town at a town called Phun Phin). From there it is a straightforward busride across the peninsular to Phuket.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by jweston on 6/10/2009 at 08:42

Thanks a ton somtam2000. How long does the busride take and also, is it air conditioned? Are we better to go by minibus?

Joan

#3 jweston has been a member since 5/10/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 6/10/2009 at 09:39 admin

Hi Joan,

There are both air-con and fan-cooled buses -- I'd definitely lean towards an air-con one. The trip takes around 6 hours by air-con bus, minibuses do it in less -- 4-4.5 hours.

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by idreamofdurian on 6/10/2009 at 17:24 TF writer

Hmmm.. Surat Thai is over-shooting it a little. You could try getting off in Trang then working your way to Phuket along the west coast. It should cut down on your travel time a bit and there are more nice beaches between Trang and Phuket (like Krabi ).

The public bus between Trang and Phuket takes about 5 hours. Trang to Krabi is a little less than 3 hours. If you were planning to also go to Koh Phi Phi, you could take the train to Trang, a bus to Krabi, a ferry to Koh Phi Phi, then a ferry from Phi Phi to Phuket.

#5 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by jweston on 8/10/2009 at 09:08

Great. Thanks to both of you for all your help.

Cheers

#6 jweston has been a member since 5/10/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by exacto on 8/10/2009 at 10:31

hey j,

if you were keen to go by train, then i'm pretty sure your best choice would be to take the train to surat thani/phun phin and bus it to phuket from there.

if you were taking a mini bus, then you have all sorts of options, just like durian says.

if you haven't yet, you could also look into the air asia flights directly from KL to phuket. i think it runs between USD 50 to 100 per person for the flight. not a bad deal all things considered. cheers.

#7 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,657
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by jweston on 9/10/2009 at 06:59

Thanks exacto. That was our first thought but then we thought the train would be more interesting. I'm not sure how long it takes but we're not in a particular hurry.

Cheers

#8 jweston has been a member since 5/10/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by fondo on 9/10/2009 at 11:02

KL to Phuket is a long way and train is probably not the best way for the majority of the trip. I don't think you can get a half decent arrival/connection time in Phun Phin anyway.

If you want to go pretty much direct I certainly advise flying, but with time no object there are a number of options - which are best spread out over a few days - including:

Train to Butterworth, ferry Penang to Langkawi and then to Satun, bus to Krabi and then Phuket.

Train to Butterworth, bus to Hadyai, Krabi and then to Phuket.

Fly to Langkawi, then ferry/bus to Phuket.

Etc Etc

#9 fondo has been a member since 23/6/2006. Posts: 172
 Where has fondo been? 

Posted by jweston on 9/10/2009 at 12:54

Wow. So many options.

Thanks everyone.

#10 jweston has been a member since 5/10/2009. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.