Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Travel from Koh Chang to Koh Samet

Posted by lizinwien on 6/10/2009 at 23:26

I am trying to plan a trip for March. Ideally we would stay a few nights in Bangkok, travel to Koh Chang, then to Koh Samet and then back to Bangkok. Is it possible to travel easily from Koh Chang to Koh Samet? I see they are both fairly accessible from Bangkok, but is there a boat from one to the other? Also, if anyone can recommend a cheap hotel on Koh Samet (around 1000 bah) that would also be wonderful.
ps. this site is amazing! it has been really extremely helpful and i am very thankful to those who made it.

#1 lizinwien has been a member since 6/10/2009. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 7/10/2009 at 06:42

Hi Liz,

It's a great idea, but I don't think there is a boat going from Ko Chang to Ko Samet, so you'll pretty much have to take the bus. Most of the Bangkok-bound buses departing Trat head inland and don't go past Ban Phe, the port for Ko Samet. Because of that, you will probably be better off taking a bus from Trat to Chantaburi, and then transferring. If you are lucky, you might get a bus from Chantaburi that goes through Ban Phe. If not, you can get a bus from Chantaburi (or perhaps even Trat) to Rayong and then backtrack a bit to Ban Phe.

If you have the time, you might consider spending a night in Trat between Ko Chang and travelling to Ko Samet. It is a great place to hang out for a night or two, with cheap digs and good but cheap eats too.

As for Samet, check out the listings for Ao Phai and Ao Tubtim/Phutsa. There are some good choices for you in the under 1K baht range. Regards.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,679
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by tezza on 8/10/2009 at 17:58

Yeah, no boat.
I have twice travelled the opposite way from Ban Phe, the mainland pier for Samet, to the piers for Chang on travellers' minibuses - I aim to do the same this March. These minibuses would definitely be carting people back to Ban Phe. I reckon just about any accommodation on Chang plus main street travel shops would be able to arrange this for you.

Last visit to Samet I stayed at Pudsa Bungalows which is a pretty good cheapy on a nice and quiet beach within a short walk of the more party type beaches.
There is one other place on this beach which I liked the look of and gets good reviews on TRAVELFISH - Tubtim Resort.

#3 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,344

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.