Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Ayutthaya or Sukhothai or both?

Posted by buecax on 21/10/2009 at 18:46

At the end of my SEA trip I have one week left before I fly home from Bangkok.

I arrive at BKK airport on the evening of Oct 23rd and fly out from BKK airport on Oct 30th. So if I spend the first and last night in Bangkok that only leaves me 5 days to somewhere else.

I understand Ayutthaya is very close to Bangkok but Sukhothai is about 5-6 hours away. So is there one to be preferred over the other or is it worth seeing both?

#1 buecax has been a member since 15/7/2009. Posts: 44
 Send buecax a private message 

Posted by exacto on 21/10/2009 at 21:52

with those five days to spend you've certainly got time to see both, and both are worthwhile destinations. sukhothai is the more remote and perhaps romantic spot, but ayutthaya is a UNESCO world heritage site for a reason too.

if you were going to see both, i'd do sukhothai first, and then work my way back to ayutthaya.

another option for those five days could be kanchanaburi, if you haven't been there before, then over to ayutthaya for a day or two before returning to bangkok. regards.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,679
 Send exacto a private message   Where has exacto been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 21/10/2009 at 22:00

But Bangkok itself has plenty to see and plenty to do. It's a major cosmopolitan city with lots going on. Great nightlife and the sites around the Chao Praya river are worth visiting.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by Travel1221 on 27/10/2009 at 19:16

Any recommendations for budget accommodation in Sukhothai.
In the region of 400B - 500B per night.

#4 Travel1221 has been a member since 26/6/2009. Posts: 15

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.