Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Help with riverboat trip to Luang Prabang??

Posted by chris1dna on 24/10/2009 at 02:22

I am looking to book a trip from Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang Laos. I have transportation from Chaing Mai via friends but dont know the deal about what is the Best boat opperation going right now. I am looking for better accomadations than say backpacker this go around as I am accompanied by my parents on thier first trip to Thailand. I am married to a Thai and have one 18 month old along with my folks. I have been to Chaing Mai and the surrounding area about a half dozen times along with Chaing Rai and Pai and the far northern border town with Burma (name escapes me)so I understand the levels of accomadations we are dealing with. I am just looking for something thats comfortable and legit. Good service and the like. I realize this may be a bit to hope for with a fairly new tourist destination but my folks are in thier 70s so there it is. They are a very heathly 70s as well. Thanks very much for any help.
Sawasdee, Chris

#1 chris1dna has been a member since 19/11/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 23

Posted by somtam2000 on 24/10/2009 at 08:35 admin

Do you mean accommodation at the border (Chiang Khong/Huay Xai), the halfway point (Pakbeng) or in Luang Prabang? There's a bunch of recommendations in each section on Travelfish, so perhaps have a poke through some of those.

As for the boat, unless you do a through trip from CM (in which case you may be on a better boat) I think you just get stuck with whatever is going that day.

Hope that helps

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by chris1dna on 24/10/2009 at 22:47

I guess I am looking for recommendations yes. I did do some poking around. Quite a bit in fact and became frustrated. All seemed fairly spartan and "backpacky" for lack of a better word. If that's the case then so be it. Maybe i am trying to hard huh? I was hoping for something a bit more comfortable for my parents is all. My Dad is good to go with whatever but, my Mom is a bit more shall we say, "squeamish" =) Any recommendations or points to the right way would be just great. Sorry to be a pain if I am asking to much. The last time I used Travelfish advice was for my trip from Issan to Luang Prabang with my wife in 2006. It was a great from getting from Udon Thani airport to the border to TumtumCheng Guest house. Fantastic! Thanks in advance for everthing travelfish community...=)

#3 chris1dna has been a member since 19/11/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 23

Posted by wanderingcat on 25/10/2009 at 01:58

what's your budget?
see here.
Monsavanh's covered on Tfish, though high season rates for doubles were already 80,000kip back in 2006, also seen 2008 & 2009 reports of rates higher than the high season rates on the Tfish listing...

public slowboat: no choice, just whatever's leaving on that day, with whoever's leaving on that day. or you could form a group to charter one, some have done that before - see reply #48 here.

alternatives:
http://sites.google.com/site/nagiofmekong/
http://www.asian-oasis.com/Luang.html

#4 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by chris1dna on 25/10/2009 at 09:43

Thanks! I will check it out right now.;=)

#5 chris1dna has been a member since 19/11/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 23

Posted by chris1dna on 30/10/2009 at 01:01

Those were very interesting! Thank you so much wanderingcat. Any other sites like those would be great as well. Thanks again TF community! Always a great resource!

#6 chris1dna has been a member since 19/11/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 23

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.