Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Khao Lak/Lanta/Phi Phi - help?

Posted by carlyb on 8/11/2009 at 22:28

My boyfriend and I are going to be in Thailand for the first time for 10 days at the beginning of Dec, flying into Phuket . We’ve booked accommodation on Ko Lone (Lohn?) off Phuket for the last 4 nights but we’re really struggling to decide where to base ourselves for the first 5 nights.

This holiday is def about max relaxation for us so a picturesque beach with some nice snorkeling is important, choice of restaurants (seafood bbq would be great) and chilled bars not massive basically what most people are looking for ;-) We’re both in our late 20’s, not on a particularly tight budget and would prefer a killer location to killer accommodation.

At the moment our top choices in no particular order are

Khao Lak
Pros - easy to get to from Phuket, great accommodation for great prices, could go to similans
Cons - maybe a bit package tour vibe - please tell me if I'm wrong about this I’m only basing my view on what i’ve read.

Ko Lanta,
Pro - good variety of beaches, restaurants, chilled out, good for snorkeling day trips
Cons - furthest away from Phuket - not that i have any great desire to hang out in Phuket just think of time constraints

Ko Phi Phi
Pro - great snorkeling, picturesque
Cons - gap year brigade, noisy, not great value

Do any of these stand out as an obvious choice given what we’re looking for and how long we have? Any thoughts/recommendations would be great appreciated.

#1 carlyb has been a member since 10/7/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.