Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Need to book?

Posted by Nerel3000 on 30/11/2009 at 00:47

I am going to Thailand arriving New Yrs Eve for 16 nights with 2 other people. So far we have just booked the first 2 nights in Bangkok then flights to Surat Thani from 2nd Jan-14th, from which we plan to visit Kao Pha Ngan for half moon party and Ko Tao, and also try and do a 4 night trip to Khao Sok & Chieow Laan Lake so we can do some elephant riding/see the jungle and stay on a river raft.

Do we need to book accommodation on the islands for this time of year and is there anywhere that is recommended to stay in particular? Also, do you now if we can book a tour to Khao Sok on arrival in Bangkok or if it better to book before and if there are any recommended companies? We were debating about whether it would be cheaper to book out there but alos if it would be hard to find a trip available a couple of days before.

Thanks for your help!

#1 Nerel3000 has been a member since 19/10/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by Precious24 on 30/11/2009 at 11:55

Your schedule looks like busy time of the year, so maybe you should book in advance even just for a day or two and take it from there. Two weeks ago, I was in Thailand but not in those islands. I was told it's easy to get accomodation and I can just walk in. True, I walked in but most of the hostels and guest houses I like were fully booked. It took me at least an hour walking around with my backpack just to get an accommodation I was not happy about. The following day I moved again to look for a new one.

#2 Precious24 has been a member since 21/11/2009. Posts: 22

Posted by Nerel3000 on 1/12/2009 at 05:06

yeah, I don't really fancy trekking around with all our stuff maybe it would be best to book. does anyone know if it's easy to book things in bangkok or best to do before leaving?

#3 Nerel3000 has been a member since 19/10/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by scottyheather on 10/12/2009 at 09:32

I think this is what I'm scared of when we get to Koh Chang in mid January - that the only places with space are in the 4000bht bracket! But a lot of the beach bungalows and budget places, you can't pre-book. I guess it's just a chance we are going to have to take.

#4 scottyheather has been a member since 30/3/2008. Posts: 89
 Send scottyheather a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.