Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Which island???

Posted by scottyheather on 30/11/2009 at 14:03

Hi everyone. After a whistlestop tour of Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia, my husband and I are hoping to catch some sun and rest on an island not too far from Bangkok as we'll be flying out from there and don't want to have to travel too much at the very end of our trip.

I've been to Samui before and loved it, but thought this time that Koh Chang might be a good idea given its proximity to Bkk.

However, I've been reading and reading up on Koh Chang and it seems that there's not much accommodation-wise apart from a couple of budget places (which are probably going to be full up when we get there) or over-priced resort type places (ugh).

My question is, if we just turn up from the ferry on/around 15 January, what are the chances of getting good budget accommodation that won't break the bank on one of the nice beaches? We are hoping to spend not more than 1,000-1,500baht/night (less if possible).

OR, can anyone recommend another good island quite close to Bkk. We aren't teenagers any more so we aren't looking for all night raves, but having said that, we do like fun and nightlife so don't want to be stuck on somewhere where it's too quiet.

ANY advice would be appreciated. We had originally thought of Sihanoukville but the travelling at the end/backtracking through PP put us off.

#1 scottyheather has been a member since 30/3/2008. Posts: 89
 Send scottyheather a private message 

Posted by sirhalberd on 8/12/2009 at 10:39

"ANY advice would be appreciated. We had originally thought of Sihanoukville but the travelling at the end/backtracking through PP put us off."

Any advice!

Does it have to be an island? Closest beach to Bangkok is Pattaya! It is better than you might think. Hotels are cheaper than Bangkok and Phuket, transportation is 10 baht, lots of malls, street vendors and available local tours through travel agencies. Get a hotel on or near Pattaya 2nd Road so you can take advantage of the cheap transportation. Lots of malls of of Pattaya 2nd Road plus movie theaters. Or if you want less nightlife around get a hotel in the Jomtien area not far from Jomtien Beach.

Millions of tourists visit Pattaya every year, many of them are couples and families with children. Many of these family groups return year after year! There is an active nightlife that can be ignored - no one will force you into a bar against your will. Pattaya Beach is okay for sunbathing, shopping, restaurants, nightlife and street vendors but no tourists swim there. Lots of hotels have pools anyway. You can swim at Jomtien Beach if you crave sand under your feet.

Islands off of Pattaya:
http://www.gopattaya.com/islands.htm

Best thing about Pattaya if you do not like it you can quickly head back to Bangkok using a cheap bus for 120 baht or less.

Good luck.

#2 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295
 Send sirhalberd a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by scottyheather on 8/12/2009 at 11:25

Hey thanks for the advice sirhalberd. We had been to Pattaya a couple of times before (with kids too) but for some reason we didn't really think of it this time. I'll certainly check out your links too.
Thanks again.

#3 scottyheather has been a member since 30/3/2008. Posts: 89

Posted by swag on 8/12/2009 at 12:41

Hi you good check out Chai Chet Resort on Koh Chang. It's situated on the headland at the start of Klong Prao beach. Last stayed there Feb 09 and got a headland room for 1500thb also have put a pool in and big seafoood menu.Probably best value on that beach.

#4 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 331
 Send swag a private message 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 8/12/2009 at 14:30

Also check out Cliff Cottage at Bang Bao on Ko Chang's south coast.
http://www.cliff-cottage.com/
A bunch of simple 300 baht bungalows with big ocean views. They take bookings too so you could secure a place, or just show up since they only pre-book a percentage of their huts keeping the rest available for walk-in customers. Rent a scooter and explore the island from there.

See Travelfish review here:
https://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/thailand/eastern_thailand/trat/bang_bao/all/2483

#5 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,950

Posted by scottyheather on 9/12/2009 at 10:28

Thanks swag and captain bob ..... you've both given us something to thing about - especially the Cliff Cottage place. Don't know how I managed to miss that one during my scouring of travelfish :)

#6 scottyheather has been a member since 30/3/2008. Posts: 89

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.