Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Suggestions on 25days in Thailand, starting January 1st

Posted by brainatwork on 10/12/2009 at 02:26

Hello everyone,

thanks for all the great information that you're all sharing :)

Me and my girlfriend are coming to BKK on January 1st and have to go back on the 25th.

We were in the southern part of Thailand last year - phuket, phi phi

This year, the idea is to:
- fly to Chiang Mai, rent a big bike and tour for a couple of days (any tips on which loop to do?)

- fly somewhere south to relax, Koh pan gan?

- fly to Singapore for 2,3 days
- eventually do Lombok (or anything else for that matter)
in Indonesia instead of Thailand beaches?
- oh yeah.. we'd also like to get married somewhere on a beach (have a little Thai ceremony, flip flops and t-shirts, nothing fancy - the two of us)

I havent booked no flights or made no reservations apart from the 1st few nights in BKK, should I do it now or on the spot? From my last year's experience I lean towards the "there and then" option, but it was in November.. January is supposed to be the peak season?

Any kind of info would be greatly appreciated:)

Thank you,
Harris

#1 brainatwork has been a member since 10/12/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by Tilapia on 10/12/2009 at 04:28

Hi Harris,

Here is a great source of info for motorcycling around Thailand and Laos, but especially Northern Thailand ... http://www.gt-rider.com/

Don't forget that last year tourism was way down because of the political unrest and airport closure. I suspect this year will be much busier (but I would not bother reserving anything except a room for my arrival and, possibly, departure days). Only because I don't like being locked into schedules.

#2 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,499
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/12/2009 at 11:03 admin

For biking out of Chiang Mai, the Mae Hong Son Loop is a great one -- but really need more than just a couple of days to do it justice...

Bear in mind Jan in Bali Lombok is wet season, so I'd be getting married in Thailand if I was you (congrats by the way!)

You're going to be flying quite a few legs -- I'd be checking the budget airline websites now if I was you -- to get better fares.

Cheers

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by MADMAC on 10/12/2009 at 18:00

"- oh yeah.. we'd also like to get married somewhere on a beach (have a little Thai ceremony, flip flops and t-shirts, nothing fancy - the two of us)"

Do you mean "Get married" or do you mean just do a little ceremony? Getting married in Thailand if neither of you is Thai will doubtless involve a bunch of paperwork in a bunch of offices somewhere.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by brainatwork on 10/12/2009 at 19:01

Hello again,

thanks everyone :)

@samtam2000
"a couple of days" meant as long as we like it :) I'm actually thinking of buying a one way plane ticket to CM and then see how it develops (so we're not tied to flight schedules), thanks for the tip :)

@madmac
we basically will "get married" :) it doesn't have to be completely legal, the idea is to have a ceremony and then when we get back we'll sign the papers in our home country. we'd consider the legal way, but like you said - we don't feel like spending 3,4 days running bureaucracy

#5 brainatwork has been a member since 10/12/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.