Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Getting from Suvarnbhumi Airport to Surat Thani

Posted by CaitlinP on 17/12/2009 at 11:21

I arrive in at 1650 at Suvarnbhumi International Airport Bangkok, and the last sleeper train to Surat Thani heads of at 1930. Do people know if this is enough time to get there? And if not, if there's a station closer to the airport I could get on the same train?

Thanks for your help!

#1 CaitlinP has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 7

Posted by Thaiman on 17/12/2009 at 14:57

There's no way you'll get from Suvarnbhumi to Hualamphong in that time.Have to allow an hour for immigration, baggage collection and that's being conservative.There is'nt a train station closer so you're better off accepting that you'll have to stay in BKK that night and head to Surat the next day.Hope that helps.

#2 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201
 Send Thaiman a private message 

Posted by Tilapia on 17/12/2009 at 20:51

There is another one that leaves at 22:50. You'd have plenty of time to get to that one.

Here's the schedule ... http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_HTML.asp

You could always grab a bus if you're too late for the train. They'll be going at least hourly from the new Southern Bus Terminal, Chimpli.

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508
 Send Tilapia a private message   Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Thaiman on 18/12/2009 at 02:53

You don't say where you're flying from in your post.If you're comming from Europe,USA,where there's a long flight involved,I doubt very much if you'd feel like catching a train or any other mode of transport.Better to spend the night in BKK and go the next day.

#4 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201
 Send Thaiman a private message 

Posted by CaitlinP on 20/12/2009 at 06:50

Thanks for your help guys. I'm just coming in from Australia, and want to head down to Ko Phengan ASAP. The 22.50 train isn't a sleeper and was hoping I could be horizontal. What's are the non-sleeper trains like to sleep on? I've only ever gone sleeper!

#5 CaitlinP has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 7

Posted by Tilapia on 20/12/2009 at 21:56

Not surprisingly, Thais have no trouble dropping off sitting up (or standing up for that matter) in the non-sleeper cars or anywhere else, but I've never been able to get much shut-eye on them. If I had no choice but to sit up the whole way, I'd take the bus. At least the lights get turned off on the buses, unlike on the trains where the lights blaze all night. Then, of course, there's the noise.

If you're coming in sometime soon, unless you have a reservation, most trains south will be booked solid. If you really want to be on your way south straight after arriving in Bangkok, and you don't want to stay in Bangkok, then your best bet will be the bus.

#6 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508

Posted by CaitlinP on 21/12/2009 at 13:17

Thanks son tam seller, I didn't know lights were left on the train! Do I need to look into booking a bus before I get there, or do they leave pretty regularly from the South Bangkok terminal?

#7 CaitlinP has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 7

Posted by Tilapia on 22/12/2009 at 01:52

Hi,

No need to book buses. Just show up and you'll get onto one. And if you don't, there will be another leaving for the same place shortly after.

#8 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,508

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.