Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Bangkok to Surat Thani

Posted by greenman42 on 17/12/2009 at 14:14

I'm in Bangkok at the moment, and tommorrow I want to make a move to the islands. What is the best way of doing this without flying? I've spent too much time in planes and airports.
I'm staying just off Khoa San Rd, and am thinking of the sleeper train. Please help with fares(tuk tuk,taxi, train), departure times, and travel times. I don't want to use a Khoa san rd travel agent if I can help it, too many horror stories. I also don't want to be ripped off by the drivers, I still look too well kempt, and am a soft target.
Any help or advice will be much appreciated, as always.
Thanks

#1 greenman42 has been a member since 18/9/2009. Posts: 63

Posted by greenman42 on 17/12/2009 at 14:15

What an idiot I am! I meant to say from Bangkok to Surat Thani

#2 greenman42 has been a member since 18/9/2009. Posts: 63

Posted by Thaiman on 17/12/2009 at 14:26

The sleeper train will cost you about 800 baht.It leaves Bangkok at around 7:30pm and arrives at Surat Thani at 7:30am.As to the availability of sleeper berths at this time of year-don't really know but I'd suggest you may be lucky to get one on short notice.Hope this helps.

#3 Thaiman has been a member since 12/11/2008. Posts: 201
 Send Thaiman a private message 

Posted by greenman42 on 18/12/2009 at 10:06

Thanks Thaiman, you were right, I could not get a spot on the train, so got an AC bus and ferry combo straight to Samui. Seems like the next best thing

#4 greenman42 has been a member since 18/9/2009. Posts: 63

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.