Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Chiang Rai longtail day trip

Posted by mmeckel on 20/12/2009 at 23:48

I'm in Chiang Rai for a couple of days and am wondering if it's possible to take a longtail up river to a village, get dropped off for a few hours, and catch a boat ride back without having to pre-arrange the return boat ride. We tried talking to someone at the pier but only got offers for a tour. Lonely Planet mentions that you can do self-guided hikes so I'm just wondering if anyone can help shed some light on this for us.

#1 mmeckel has been a member since 1/10/2009. Posts: 5

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/12/2009 at 08:31 admin

The boat down to Tha Ton stops at a village half way (I can't remember the name off the top of my head). From there it is possible to stay in the village and/or do self-guided walks further afield -- am surprised the guys at the pier didn't tell you this -- strange.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,575
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by billbevan01 on 21/12/2009 at 15:41

Hi, the village is called Khaew Waaw Dam and you can stay at the My Dream guesthouse. I'd really recommend it as the guesthouse is wonderful and run by the very friendly Nan and Polly. The area is beautiful for walking.

https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/8760_my-dream--chiang-rai

#3 billbevan01 has been a member since 19/6/2009. Location: Global Village. Posts: 46
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.