Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

PLEASE HELP US PICK THE PERFECT ISLAND!!

Posted by mm716 on 22/12/2009 at 22:09

my boyfriend and I are planing our first trip to Thailand, the trip will be 10 days long in mid Jan. I'm very excited about the trip and have read quite a bit about all the different islands, but I end up feeling very overwhelmed by all the information and unable to decide which one is better suited for what we're looking for. Basically we want to be on an island, since the trip won't be very long, we prefer to stay on one island, two the most. We're living in a very busy city right now, so we'd like to just take it easy and stay near a quite beach with not too many people around. Ideally, the island would have some really quiet beach where we can stay, and mountains, jungles, and waterfalls. I love waterfalls! An island where we can rent motorbikes. We prefer a more natural place, not too touristy. Our budget is on the mid to lower end, we would like to try to spend less. Please help give us some ideas if you're experienced with the islands in Thailand. We'd really appreciate any help we can get! Thanks lots!!

#1 mm716 has been a member since 18/12/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/12/2009 at 09:15 admin

Wanting waterfalls narrows the options quite a bit. My first suggestion would be a quieter beach on Ko Pha Ngan -- you can rent bikes and all that stuff there, there is plenty to do and it is relatively inexpensive. It is a very popular island, but big enough that the quieter beaches shouldn't be too busy.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by mm716 on 23/12/2009 at 10:02

Hello Somtam, thanks so much for your help!! I thought about Ko Pha Ngan too, it sounds pretty close to what we're looking for. We're just a bit scared of the full moon party thing making the island really busy. Have you had any experience with how busy the island gets during and around the full moon party ?
Thanks again for helping!

#3 mm716 has been a member since 18/12/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by sirhalberd on 23/12/2009 at 12:00

Beaches are nice but don't go all the way to Thailand and ONLY see beaches! You do not have to be at a beach to get a tan, believe it or not you can even get a sunburn in Bangkok and Chiang Mai !

Don't skip Bangkok, it is the capital city. Spend a few days there at the beginning of your trip and at least one final night before you fly out. Usually it is easier on you if you do not immediately fly out somewhere after landing at Suvarnabhumi. From Bangkok you can go on a Kachanaburi tour and see some water falls if you want. (In Thailand you can get tours from travel agencies pretty easy, travel agencies are all over the place and have lists of available tours.)

See if you can fit Chiang Mai into your schedule. In Chiang Mai you will see some of the things that make Thailand unique.

Wait until you get to Thailand to change your money over. Now is the time to plan on how to handle carrying money and using debit or credit cards. If you do use debit/credit cards you first have to tell your bank that you will be out of the country and where. (Otherwise your ATM withdrawals may be denied because of suspected fraud.)

When you need hotel recommendations always mention a baht value for the price you want to pay for a night in a hotel. Knowing how much you want to pay per night makes it easier to recommend a place.

Merry Christmas and have a nice time in Thailand.

#4 sirhalberd has been a member since 30/12/2007. Posts: 295

Posted by tezza on 25/12/2009 at 19:16

"stay near a quite beach with not too many people around. Ideally, the island would have some really quiet beach where we can stay, and mountains, jungles, and waterfalls. I love waterfalls! An island where we can rent motorbikes. We prefer a more natural place, not too touristy. Our budget is on the mid to lower end"

Ko Kut is one of a few satisfies all those requirements apart from hills not mountains. Siam Beach, Siam Beach Resort.

(Big) Ko Chang too - Long Beach - the new Treehouse.

Ko Lanta - maybe Waterfall Bungalows on Klong Jak.

#5 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.