Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Guided wildlife tours?

Posted by ndemik on 29/12/2009 at 02:52

Any suggestions on top-notch wildlife tours of Thailand's forest?

My wife and I are looking for an english speaking guide/outfit that really knows the flora and fauna. Our primary interest is getting into good forest, and we're down to spend some cash to hire a guide that has an eye for the birds, bugs, plants and occasional mammal.

Thanks!

#1 ndemik has been a member since 28/12/2009. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 29/12/2009 at 15:14 admin

My immediate suggestion would be for a Thai guide by the name of Tom who runs trips from Rabieng Guesthouse in Phetburi up to Kaeng Krachan National Park. You're most likely to see birds -- we saw some great hornbills in that park -- I wouldn't get your hopes up for mammals though.

Second option would be Khao Yai National Park -- we've seen wild elephants in there -- the most common approach is from one of the guesthouses in Pak Chong -- most offer two day trips into the park.

I'll ask around and see if can get any other recommendations.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by CunningMcFar on 29/12/2009 at 22:45

We had a very full wildlife experience at Khao Yai NP. Stayed at Green Leaf GH in Pak Chong and arranged their day and a half tour into the park, 1500 THB. The guides from Green Leaf are great spotters and managed to find all manner of birds, mammals, and reptiles:
many hornbills, wild elephants, several gibbons, kingfisher, bats, serow, spiders, pit viper, whip snake, chinese water dragon, horned tree lizard, giant squirrel, sambar deer, gaur, barking deer, macaques everywhere. We had a great time and got many good photos.

#3 CunningMcFar has been a member since 20/8/2004. Posts: 163
 Where has CunningMcFar been? 

Posted by ndemik on 30/12/2009 at 13:32

Thanks for the posts. Kaeng Krachan and Khao Yai both look great.

Anyone heard good things about the Paddleasia trips? The website looks like they put together some interesting kayak nature expeditions in southern Thailand...

#4 ndemik has been a member since 28/12/2009. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.