Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

help neede, your opinion on itinerary

Posted by marie79 on 3/1/2010 at 15:14

#1 Posted: 27/12/2009 - 17:27

Hi everyone,
My husband and I will be traveling to Indochina for 10 weeks from January till March. Arriving in BKK and leaving from BKK
We still don't know where to start the journey.
Shall we start from BBK, then Chiang Mai , Laos, Vietnam from North to South, Cambodia and then back to BKK from Siem Reap OR the other way around.
i.e. from BKK to Siem Reap, South Vietnam to North Vietnam, then fly from Hanoi to Vientiane and then Chiang Mai to BKK.
Is there any advantage doing this itinerary "clockwise" or the opposite way.
First, I thought about starting from the south so we would avoid the chilly evening in North Vietnam and Chiang Mai at the beginning of January and do the end of the trip shopping in Chiang Mai. But then, I'm thinking that the slow boat trip from Thailand to Luang Prabang might be better doing it this way instead of upriver. Huay Xai
Is there any disadvantage about taking the slow boat upriver from Luang Prabang till Huay Xai?
Everybody seems to do it from Huay Xai down to Luang Prabang but not so much upriver.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance for all your help

#1 marie79 has been a member since 18/12/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by somtam2000 on 4/1/2010 at 10:07 admin

At that time of the year you won't see huge differences regardless of if you've going clockwise or anticlockwise. The slow boat trip does take a bit longer going upriver, but in either direction you're done inside two full days, so again it isn't a big deal.

Toss a coin ;-)

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,564
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by marie79 on 4/1/2010 at 10:18

Thank you very much for taking some of your time for answering.
Your answer is very helpful, thanks a lot again
Marie

#3 marie79 has been a member since 18/12/2009. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.