Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand, Laos and Vietnam in 18 days?

Posted by npar2696 on 7/1/2010 at 12:14

Fly into BKK on 5th, staying a night there and then thinking of heading straight upto Chiang Mai, spend a couple of days there and then fancy going tubing in Laos,

1) Whats the best way to get to Laos (also is it Vang Vieng where you can go tubing?) after which we want to spend majority of our time in Vietnam, It should be just over 10 days that we have to go to vietnam so I would really appreciate some thought as to the best way to see Vietnam and probably the quickest transport routes?

Need to fly out of Bangkok on the 21st of Feb so would appreciate any advice going?

#1 npar2696 has been a member since 7/1/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by somtam2000 on 7/1/2010 at 13:16 admin

If you want to go tubing and go to Chiang Mai then I'd suggest doing something like: Bangkok -> Chiang Mai -> Chiang Khong -> boat down the river to Luang Prabang -> Vang Vieng (tube central) -> Vientiane -> fly to Hanoi

Realisticly you'd need at least 8-9 days to do the above, though two weeks would be better.

The remainder I'd spend in the north of Vietnam -- Hanoi, Ha Long Bay and Sapa then grab a cheap flight back to Bangkok for exit.

Hope that helps.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by MADMAC on 7/1/2010 at 14:29

Is there some reason why you want to race around southeast asia in rapid fashion? I mean, if you only have 18 days, then why not stick to Bangkok and it's environs? 18 days is nothing.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by chriswotton on 7/1/2010 at 18:28

Agree with Madmac - please, for goodness' sake if you can, give yourself more time or try to see a little less this time round and then go back for more when you can. I fear you'll regret it otherwise - to try and do three countries in 18 days is unrealistic, even if you're not expecting to see everything they have to offer.

#4 chriswotton has been a member since 7/9/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 96
 Where has chriswotton been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by npar2696 on 11/1/2010 at 13:03

Cheers for that admin, I think I will take your advise and follow that iterinary.

Also given 18 days is nothing, I am unable to get more time off from work and hence would like to do as much as possible. Hence, Bangkok - Chiang Mai - Luang prabang - Hanoi should be fine I believe.

One last question.

How long do buses/trains/boats take from Vientiane to Hanoi? Thanks

#5 npar2696 has been a member since 7/1/2010. Posts: 7

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/1/2010 at 14:14 admin

npar2696: Overland from Vientiane to Hanoi takes the best part of a day and a half last I heard.

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.