Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Monastery stay for females

Posted by idreamofdurian on 13/1/2010 at 01:17 TF writer

Can anyone recommend a monastery for females interested in Buddhism? A short stay (i.e. < 1 week) is preferable. Location doesn't matter -- I'll go wherever necessary. This would be in March 2010. Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks.

#1 idreamofdurian has been a member since 5/9/2008. Location: Singapore. Posts: 576
 Website   Twitter   Flickr  

Posted by exacto on 13/1/2010 at 10:33

My wife once did a 10-day meditation program at a forest Wat not far from Surat Thani. It was a program designed for westerners/non-Thais. There were both men and women there, but the genders were segregated during the program. She had a pretty positive experience. Many of the people then went on to do an additional, follow-up program on Phangnan.

I'm afraid additional details escape me at the moment and she isn't here to ask right now either. Sorry about that. It was a decade ago, but the program was so popular, I'd imagine it was still going. Cheers.

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,657
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by DLuek on 13/1/2010 at 12:13 TF writer

I stayed at Wat Sanghathan in Nonthaburi (just north of Bangkok) for about 2 weeks. This is a large temple in the forest tradition situated on an overgrown durian plantation. It's not geared towards westerners per se, but a handful of westerners do stay and are most welcome, females included. There were two western female meditators there at the same time as me. Phra Frank, a monk from the US, and Mae Chee Maria, a nun from Germany, are both associated with the temple and provide westerners with outstanding meditation instruction in English or German. Wat Sanghathan has 3 branch monasteries that are also available to westerners, assuming there's a western monk or nun in residence at the time (or the westerner speaks some Thai). Wat Sanghathan and its branches are good options for a westerner looking to mainly be around Thai Buddhists. All the chanting books are translated into English though and the abbot works toward a very open international-minded atmosphere so I certainly didn't feel like an "outsider" at all. Wat Sanghathan's website is www.vimokkha.com.

Other popular options that are more specifically geared towards westerners (including females) are the international Buddhism center at Wat Doi Sutthep in Chiang Mai (www.fivethousandyears.org), Wat Ram Poeng also in Chiang Mai, although I think they prefer for people to stay 26 days with a minimum of 10 (www.palikanon.com/vipassana/tapotaram/tapotaram.htm), Wat Suan Mokkh near Surat Thani in the south (www.suanmokkh.com), Wat Kow Tahm on Koh Phangan (www.kowtahm.org), and Thailand Vipassana Center near Phitsanulok (www.dhamma.org).
If you want to do more research check out www.buddhistravel.com.

Hope this helps,

DL

#3 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by DLuek on 13/1/2010 at 12:25 TF writer

oops, the one on Koh Phangan is www.watkowtham.org.

#4 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by DLuek on 13/1/2010 at 12:26 TF writer

oops again! www.watkowtahm.org. That's it, promise :)

#5 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by shadek on 13/1/2010 at 14:49

I'm doing a 4-day 'course' at Doi Suthep, in Chiang Mai. Normally they take people in for only one night stay, but at the end of every month it's possible to stay for 3 nights. I'm quite new to that, so I thought the 4 days would be enough without being meaningless. Don't recall the site now, but if you Google it you will be able to find.

#6 shadek has been a member since 30/11/2009. Posts: 37

Posted by DLuek on 14/1/2010 at 02:22 TF writer

I don't think it's accurate that Doi Sutthep only takes meditators for 1 night... When I went there last April and inquired about staying I was told they encourage people to stay at least 10 days but will accommodate shorter stays and will take people for as long as 21 days. Of course this all depends on what accommodation they have available and they do seem to be booked up a good month or two in advance. It's very unusual for a temple to only allow a one night stay - what's the point? Their website: www.fivethousandyears.com.

#7 DLuek has been a member since 19/6/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,176
 Website   Twitter 

Posted by cKristina on 14/1/2010 at 11:11

Koh Phangan was an awesome experience for me,as a girl! I would highly recommend it.

#8 cKristina has been a member since 11/1/2010. Posts: 3
 Website 

Posted by shadek on 14/1/2010 at 17:05

Dluek, u r right, they do encourage minimum stays of 10 days, but some people r only curious, so they can do just an overnight stay. I didn't have the 10 days available, but didn't want to stay only for a night. I found out that at the end of each month you can do a 4-day stay, which worked pretty well for me!

#9 shadek has been a member since 30/11/2009. Posts: 37

Posted by shadek on 14/1/2010 at 17:06

Dluek, u r right, they do encourage minimum stays of 10 days, but some people r only curious, so they can do just an overnight stay. I didn't have the 10 days available, but didn't want to stay only for a night. I found out that at the end of each month you can do a 4-day stay, which worked pretty well for me!

#10 shadek has been a member since 30/11/2009. Posts: 37

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.