Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Travelling to thailand in July 2010

Posted by mlaine on 10/3/2010 at 05:14

I would like to visit Thailand in July but I have been reading up on the weather. Some say not to come because of the rain and others say it's ok. Can anyone give me advice on this or maybe what Islands would be best to visit in July?

#1 mlaine has been a member since 10/3/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by exacto on 10/3/2010 at 08:54

We did a big trip through Thailand in June and July of 2006 and didn't have much trouble with rain. There were a few days where it rained pretty hard for most of the day, but generally the rain was just a bit in the late afternoon as the heat of the day built up.

The up side of travelling in rainy season is that places can be less crowded and prices can carry some friendly discounts.

The gulf side (Samui side) typically gets less rain in July, so I'd plan on those islands (although there may be some really great discounts over on the Andaman Sea side that time of year too!).

Check out the animated Thai weather map so you can check for yourself at: https://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

#2 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,659
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 10/3/2010 at 15:27

The SW monsoon rainy season affects most of the region May-October but as mentioned above the lower Gulf of Thailand is one exception. Rainy season there tends to be more like October-February and July is a fine time for those lower gulf islands - Ko Samui, Ko Phangan, Ko Tao. That said, you can have fine days throughout the region even if it involves some late afternoon thundershowers which have a quality of their own. Don't be too put off by the terms "rainy season" and "thundershowers" either - it's a good time to visit.

#3 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,903

Posted by tezza on 13/3/2010 at 20:20

Got a big description of June/July weather and best islands to visit that time of year in the JUNE threads on this page might help you.

#4 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.