Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand additions forum

Travelling with insulin?

Posted by Denny on 20/11/2006 at 14:24

One last Question, before leaving,I will be carrying insulin, syringes, and prescription pills with me, i am told to bring a doctors note saying im required to have them, I have not flown since becoming diabetic.
Just wondering if you get harrased carrying needles with you,
Thanks Den

#1 Denny has been a member since 27/10/2006. Posts: 10

Posted by somtam2000 on 21/11/2006 at 08:41 admin

Hi Danny,

I wouldn't expect any problems, though having the paperwork is a good idea. Your only concern may be in remote-ish areas where your room may not have a fridge to store the insulin -- just another thing to check before accepting a room.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,652
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by pilgrim on 22/11/2006 at 14:08

My partner travels regularly with insulin and syringes. Always carries a doctors note and has never had a problem.
He has never been too worried about keeping the insulin cool, though of course it is recommended. The insulin seems to have held up on trips of up to 6 weeks in tropical climates ( though I am sure this is not recommended...)

#3 pilgrim has been a member since 6/8/2006. Posts: 7

Posted by Denny on 22/11/2006 at 15:30

Thanks, i am getting a note just to be safe.
As for keeping the insulin cool, that is a tough one.
Im not sure i can get the type i need there, it's a fairly new kind. So i am trying to find info on a longer best before date, not the ideal one they tell you. A month not chilled they say. If its like the salad dressing in my refrigerator, i will be fine.
I will see what the Doc say's tomorrow.
Thanks Dennis

#4 Denny has been a member since 27/10/2006. Posts: 10

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.