Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand additions forum

fly from chiang mia to luang prabang or LP to BKK

Posted by lorna123 on 9/11/2010 at 19:34

Hi we are spending 3 weeks in thailand bkk for a few days night train to chiang mia then over to laos luang prabang for a while then back to bangkok then beach possibly koh chang. to try and save time we hope to do 1 internal flight. would you recommend we fly chiang mia to luang prabang or LP to bkk? cheers lorna

#1 lorna123 has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 19

Posted by JustJazz on 20/11/2010 at 19:16

Hi Lorna, I would recommend CM to LP by air (Air Laos) Going overland can prove a nitemare unless you live in Nan! LP back to Nan is easy, and I can help facilitate that from the Nan end which is where I live. From Nan you can get the bus to virtually anywhere in Thai via BKK.

Alternative is the take the Mekong boat from Chiang Rai to LP, but that will take 3 days and 2 nites.

Check out my restaurant at www.justjazznan.com - email me if you need more info

Ian

#2 JustJazz has been a member since 20/11/2010. Location: Global Village. Posts: 4

Posted by lorna123 on 30/12/2010 at 04:00

thanks ian for that info flying would be the best option cm to lp, but fairly expensive and it looks like you have to book up in advance for mid february. do you know or anyone know if there is a sleeper train from lp back to bkk? cheers lorna

#3 lorna123 has been a member since 21/10/2010. Posts: 19

Posted by exacto on 30/12/2010 at 05:24

@lorna: there are no trains to/from luang prabang. you would either need to take the bus to vientiane and then get across the border to nong khai, thailand for the overnight sleeper train to bangkok, or make your way back to chiang mai for the overnight sleeper train to bangkok from there.

there was talk about the train going all the way into vientiane, and there are railroad tracks built into friendship bridge I, but i don't know if that is actually happening yet or not.

the bus from luang prabang to vientiane is an all day sort of thing. scenic and exciting, but not exactly comfy or time efficient. in any case, getting from luang prabang back to bangkok will either take time or be expensive. hopefully that will work into your time and/or money budgets.

@ian: will you tell me more please about the overland route from luang prabang to nan? i haven't been to nan in many years but really enjoyed it there, and would like to hear how people are making that trip. what are the transport options? which border crossing are they using? what is the visa-on-arrival situation going from laos to thailand and from thailand to laos? stuff like that. thanks!

#4 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,660
 Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.