Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand additions forum

Chief Monkey Calling - Northern Thailand

Posted by julianbroad on 8/1/2007 at 09:12

I posted a message sometime ago about Monkey Island Guesthouse in Maesai, Chiangrai province, Thailand. I am the owner and I’d now like to introduce myself and the concept of Monkey Island.

I first came to Thailand some seven years ago and mostly lived in Chiangmai, I have more recently moved up to Maesai (the northern most point in Thailand) on the Thai/Burmese border. Chiangmai was a great place to live, however, the increase in traffic and pollution and my regular visits to the Eastern Shan State (Burma) led to my move. Maesai has a kinder climate than Chiangmai and this was a major factor in me moving here. Originally, I had only planned to come and live here but, within a few days of my arrival I had found myself a fantastic property on the banks of the Maesai river just a few hundred yards from the Maesai/Tachileik bridge.

Before moving to Maesai I had traveled up into the Eastren Shan State (Burma) with my truck eleven times, sometimes going by myself or taking friends from Chiangmai. I had even looked at opening a guesthouse in Keingtong in Burma. However, when I eventually settled in Maesai I realized that there were a few things missing for foreign travelers namely: affordable clean rooms, free wi-fi internet, western food, motorcycle hire and guided tours, tours to Burma, taxi services, book exchange and trekking tours with the Ahka hilltribes. Above all I wanted to create a meeting place for fellow travellers.

During my time in Chiangmai and Maesai I have gathered a great deal of knowledge and experience on traveling in Northern Thailand and more particularly the Eastern Shan State, Burma. In fact, a few months ago the researcher from the Lonley Planet stayed on Monkey Island and I was pleased to be able to update their information on travel in Burma and the local area.

I am meeting many interesting travelers in Maesai everyday which is nice. If anyone would like information before they come to these parts I would be pleased help. My email is

Happy Travels!

Julian Broad
(Chief Monkey)

#1 julianbroad has been a member since 24/11/2006. Posts: 2
 Send julianbroad a private message 

Posted by mquagliata on 10/1/2007 at 10:08

I recently stayed for several weeks at Monkey Island. I was working in Mae Sai, so I needed a place to live that would be nice to come home to. I think it's the best place in Mae Sai and I tried a couple of other guest houses. The food is good and the atmosphere friendly and compatible. Because it's right on the river, it has a peaceful feeling. Julian is a wonderful host. He's helpflul with advice, information and putting creature comforts at your service. I felt that I was very lucky to have discoverd Monkey Island and Julian and his delightful son, Jerome.

#2 mquagliata has been a member since 9/1/2007. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.