Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand additions forum

THE BEST ISLAND DESTINATION IN THAILAND!

Posted by zachareah on 3/12/2007 at 13:59

Its amazing that the best island destination is still not well-known. Its name is LAOLIANG ISLAND.

Located in the Trang province; one hour north of Ko Lipe and 45 minutes from the mainland pier (Had Yao).

Why, you ask? Here are my TOP 10 reasons:

1. Private island resort- there are no other resorts
2. Pristine and tranquil- very relaxing
3. No cars or bikes, no boat traffic
4. Great activities: CLIMBING, SNORKELING, KAYAKING, FISHING, DIVING
5. Sleep on the beach in luxurious tents
6. Great seafood barbecue's EVERY EVENING
7. All-inclusive; kayak, snorkel and climb whenever you like without worrying about costs
8. NO CROWDS- EVER!
9. great swimming beach and snorkeling from shore

10. SIMPLY THE BEST COMBINATION OF RELAXATION WITH GREAT ACTIVITIES IN SOUTHERN THAILAND (and isn't that what we are looking for in a beach destination?)

Easy to get to now that there is the Tiger Line Ferry Service from Had Yao pier.
Also, it can NEVER get built up and more crowded because the island is SHEER ROCK and there is no place to expand

#1 zachareah has been a member since 25/11/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by marineboy on 16/12/2007 at 19:29

Ahh...you have ruined it now! Everyone will go like a swarm of touristic flys!!

#2 marineboy has been a member since 22/6/2007. Posts: 13

Posted by zachareah on 17/12/2007 at 08:39

people need to read my last point; the island WILL NEVER be expanded to handle more guests. It simply can not because of topographical restraints. more tents can not be put in below the tide line or tents on the cliff like on El CAp in Yosemite.

The island will NEVER have more than 84 guests; EVER!
If it gets popular in the future, the price will go up but it will not expand and become over-run.

#3 zachareah has been a member since 25/11/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by chopin on 17/12/2007 at 21:09

Hi zachareah,

You forgot to tell us one most important thing: the cost...

#4 chopin has been a member since 28/4/2007. Posts: 154

Posted by shrn62 on 28/12/2007 at 00:07

HI!

had heard great things about the place and intended visting 1st week of Jan..just wondering if you thinkg its necesseary to book if so small?

#5 shrn62 has been a member since 17/11/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by missmasala on 28/12/2007 at 13:32

ol' zachareah posts about laoliang everywhere and is clearly connected to the people running the place.

however, i was just there in mid-december, so here's my rundown:

the island is spectacular and the beach is lovely. we didn't have such great weather but if you have all sun the place would be almost too stunning to be believed.

the all-inclusive package thing is nice. we got to try rock climbing, went on a snorkeling trip to two other islands, and could take the kayaks out whenever we wanted. plus, all the snorkel gear is included and the masks are decent, not the crappy ones you get some places. so basically you could just snorkel off the beach anytime you wanted. also, the second stop on the snorkel trip has some great soft coral that you can't usually see snorkeling. the first stop has a pretty nice reef.

the staff is very nice. many don't speak any english, tho. the place caters mainly to thais at the moment, so if you are looking for a traveler "scene" look elsewhere.

the downsides: the food could have been better, especially breakfast. it was a step up from what i call "diveboat food" (you know, bland curries with pineapple and eggs fried hours ago) and the curries were spicy enough, but they didn't serve any yums or salads and the variety of fruit could have been nicer. However, most of my family, who live in bangkok (i don't) claimed the food was better than at many similar places, which is probably true.
the other downside for me was the cleanliness of the place and the tents. The tents are clean inside, but I would prefer bungalows. also, the bathrooms started out pretty clean, but weren't cleaned at all during our three-day stay, so by the end they were pretty grotty. also, the eating area could have been cleaner, dirty plates were often left out for long times, attracting flies.
and during the hot season, the tents might be very very hot.

all in all, i think it is worth going to laoliang, tho i'm not sure it's a total bargain. still, the limestone island jutting out of the sea is amazing. reminds me of koh phi phi way back when, except much much smaller.

#6 missmasala has been a member since 24/7/2006. Posts: 2

Posted by dharmakaya on 12/5/2008 at 22:59

If someone could mention the approx costs it would make or break the deal for many of us :)

#7 dharmakaya has been a member since 12/5/2008. Posts: 16

Posted by tezza on 14/5/2008 at 15:10

Wow, missy, thanks so much fer yer review. I've been waiting for someone to do a cover of Zach's place.

For people wanting costs, pix - here is a website:
http://www.laoliangisland.com/
Now Zak, the deal with travelfish is if he shows yer website, you gotta show his.

Just a question - is the place open low season?

#8 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,339
 Website 

Posted by packtoofull on 15/5/2008 at 12:07

It's closed in low season

#9 packtoofull has been a member since 16/5/2007. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 39

Posted by chopin on 15/5/2008 at 12:46

packtoofull,

thanks for the link, but it is entirely in Thai, doesn't really help though...

Anyone who have been there... pls let us know the cost...

#10 chopin has been a member since 28/4/2007. Posts: 154

Posted by SBE on 15/5/2008 at 13:15

I disagree strongly with #8 in the OP.

"8. NO CROWDS- EVER!"

There are often crowds because lots of daytrippers go there.

#11 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,019
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by zachareah on 16/5/2008 at 21:23

i am connected to the resort and thus can not post here. however, here is some factual info:

websites: www.laoliangresort.com; www.adventursinthailand.com

closed all low season; re-open in october.

price will be similiar as last year though a bit more.
we are LOWERING our carrying capacity/number of guests next season. 60 will be maximum

Most exciting: we are working with an Australian-Thai NGO to become the model sustainable resort in the region.

#12 zachareah has been a member since 25/11/2007. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.