Photo: .

Timor-Leste forum

Update on travel to Timor Leste

Posted by muzzaf on 3/12/2019 at 12:11

Ive just returned from a very happy journey into Timor Leste

Although not a deep journey in, it was only to Dili from Kupang and return so you can do the rest as much as you want. But I saw and listened to what I was interested in.

Im Australian, it is a bit more difficult for us than most, especially if you go in by bus, up to three days to get your VISA in Kupang for Timor Leste, The bus is $US22 and its a grinding 12 hours. Then there is a fee of $US30. If you are not Australian, then the entry is much much easier and free, As for me, I gladly paid the fee.

Up to you but the plane from Kupang is three times a week and costs $US102 and worth it. On arrival you pay your $USD30 and you are in.

Make sure you book ahead, a week or two, its a small plane, an important note here is book directly with the airline, Transnusa or Air Timor, DO NOT go via the agents, Skyskanner, Nusatrip, (Never KIWI.COM anytime) etc etc. those close the flights early whilst there are seats still available. this they do to put you on the expensive flights.

Flights into Dili and out of Dili are horribly expensive from other cities, have a look see.

Kupang is a pleasant enough city so enter Timor there, arriving by plane, you pay the $US6 for a taxi (No Grab allowed) into town, good value. two days is enough and NO swimming in the beaches, Salties!!

They deal in $USD in Timor Leste so make sure you have got plenty. At the time of writing this, be warned,

Master Card is NOT accepted anywhere

so make sure you have VISA. Other cards I do not know. Money changers sit outside the banks in you have foreign currency to change but at a "price"

At the airport, you can walk the 200 m. to the outside and get a "bemo" for 50cents to town, if you dont want the Taxi.

Going back (Paradise Bus Coy) I got the Bus, good standard, a bit of messing about at the border and heat but no problems. A thing to note is they dont have the Air Cons on so windows are open and dust is on the menu.

It is a long12 hour grind back, departing at 8am ish , in Kupang they take you to your booked accommodation..... thankfully.

Hostel I stayed in Kupang was the Lavalon, contact them via Tripadvisor, the eccentric and knowledgeable Edwin and will look after you.

In Dili was the wonderful Da Terra, its at the end of your 50 cent Bemo ride from the airport, and some good food is 150m aw away. The $US10 rooms book out quick, next price room is $US15.

Getting into and out of Kupang is very easy, well served by many flights, if its any help, I flew out to Lebuan Bajo for $US80 but Flores is near there and easy to go.

PS, A sim card is cheap, there are very few cafes and hostels that have wi fi. One dollar per day unlimited.

#1 muzzaf has been a member since 22/3/2007. Posts: 13

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.