Photo: Paper all the way.

Books forum

Ho Chi Minh autobiography

Posted by bananas4baba on 29/3/2010 at 23:10

Pierre Brocheux or William J. Duiker?

#1 bananas4baba has been a member since 29/3/2010. Posts: 14

Posted by bananas4baba on 29/3/2010 at 23:14

Apologies, of course, meant 'biography'.

#2 bananas4baba has been a member since 29/3/2010. Posts: 14

Posted by somtam2000 on 30/3/2010 at 07:32 admin

I've read Duiker's one -- found it a bit heavier going than expected and less of a focus on the US war than I thought there would be. Still learned a lot!

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by bananas4baba on 1/4/2010 at 16:41

Thanks for your reply Somtam. I was leaning towards Brocheux, I think you just pushed me a little more in that direction. Interestingly it appears to have been translated by Claire Duiker. Coincidence or relation, I wonder?

#4 bananas4baba has been a member since 29/3/2010. Posts: 14

Posted by bananas4baba on 26/7/2011 at 19:22

I can now recommend William Duiker's biography of Ho Chi Minh - very well researched and as Somtam says very informative. It's not an easy read but that shouldn't put anyone off. Anyone interested in the subject will be gripped. Maybe not one to travel around with? It's rather bulky! There's still a lot more to be said and written about Ho, as more and more documents become available, but it was certainly a good primer for me. I hadn't quite realised how much of his life was spent 'in exile/on the run' and that towards the end of his life he was little more than a figurehead. I'll be getting hold of the Pierre Brocheux biography shortly now that it is available in paperback.

#5 bananas4baba has been a member since 29/3/2010. Posts: 14

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.