Photo: Paper all the way.

Books forum

books on travelling round the world

Posted by Dhagmara on 21/1/2012 at 05:57

Any recommendations as far as books dealing with lazy travelling round the world are concerned?
Would you know about any fairly recent accounts of prolonged land trips around more temperate regions of the world on a shoestring? Not that much interested in polar regions, posh hotels or touristy destinations. But we'd appreciate any funny or educational stories, in-depth guidebooks, gripping and factual accounts - just a good read or two that will enhance our idea of an elderly couple spending a year or so travelling between the tropics around the world. Any suggestions please?

#1 Dhagmara has been a member since 21/5/2010. Posts: 6
 Send Dhagmara a private message 

Posted by squarethecircle on 14/10/2012 at 11:31

An old post, but "The Writer and the World", a collection of essays by V.S. Naipaul, might be loosely related to what you're looking for.

#2 squarethecircle has been a member since 19/10/2011. Posts: 133

Posted by Dhagmara on 14/10/2012 at 15:09

Hello! Thanks for your suggestion. I don't know the name but surely I'll give his/her essays a try!

#3 Dhagmara has been a member since 21/5/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by squarethecircle on 15/10/2012 at 10:31

He's a Trinidad-born Indian (as in South Asian Indian) who comments on some of the places and events he's seen. It's much different than some travelogues in that he gives an in-depth, critical view of events, political/social/otherwise he sees during his travels as part of his career as a writer. He also won the Nobel Prize in Literature in the early 2000's. I've just skimmed a bit of the book after buying it last month, but it sounds like you may dig it.

#4 squarethecircle has been a member since 19/10/2011. Posts: 133

Posted by Dhagmara on 15/10/2012 at 14:04

I checked Mr. Naipaul immediately yesterday and much to my shame I had to admit I had known about him as a Nobel prize winner but totally forgot the name. I also tried to get the book via booklooker but they only had hardcover expensive copies; I'll look around for it.
Truth to tell, I'm not that much attracted to Africa, I mean here his Zaire stories,but we are definitely much intrigued by India.
Something different: I seem to have failed to find on this forum any more systematic entries concerning books / travelogues.

#5 Dhagmara has been a member since 21/5/2010. Posts: 6

Posted by Gamble on 16/10/2012 at 07:02

hi,

i recentley came across a book called 'Going to Extremes'. I can not remember the name of the author, I think his first name is Nick.

Anyway I think it is a book to go with a documentry he did (havent seen it myself) where goes to the coldest place on earth (Siberia), the hottest, ( a village in Ethopia), the wettest (a part of India) and the driest (a part of Chile).

I havent read the whole book myself, as I said I came across it by accident, read the first chapter and decided to buy it, but from what I have read it may be something you are interested in.

#6 Gamble has been a member since 25/7/2012. Posts: 5

Posted by FishyGigi on 12/11/2012 at 04:38

I personally enjoyed reading through Triumph around the world by Robbie Marshalls when I was travelling the Med last season. There is some talk that there will be some youtube footage too, im keeping my figners crossed as I loved iT!

#7 FishyGigi has been a member since 12/11/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by Letsgosafaris on 17/4/2014 at 23:46

I will suggest you to read "Journey of a lifetime-500".It is a very good book to study during travel.During my safaris tour in kenya I read this book.It is very intresting..Read this...

#8 Letsgosafaris has been a member since 6/2/2014. Posts: 4
 Twitter 

Posted by Travis_Chia on 22/4/2014 at 02:37

Hi,
Hey Letsgosafaris, you are right. I too had read Journey of a lifetime-500. Really, Its an awesome book I ever read.

#9 Travis_Chia has been a member since 14/4/2014. Posts: 10

Posted by Terry001 on 28/4/2014 at 06:46

I enjoyed reading through Triumph around the world by Robbie Marshalls.

#10 Terry001 has been a member since 10/1/2014. Posts: 18

Posted by Grubert on 28/4/2014 at 19:41

Anything by Paul Theroux is good, though he doesn't exactly do around-the-world trips (it's all more cross-continental). My favourites are Dark Star Safari and The Old Patagonian Express. Equally excellent Robert Kaplan's The Ends of the Earth and eastward to Tartary.

#11 Grubert has been a member since 21/2/2014. Posts: 57
 Send Grubert a private message 

Posted by ajarnalex73 on 28/4/2015 at 08:09

Hey Everyone,

Check out this cool travel book I came across helping me save a bunch of money on airfare.....
You'll thank me after.

tinyurl.com/lfejukn

Alex

#12 ajarnalex73 has been a member since 28/4/2015. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.