Photo: Paper all the way.

Books forum

No Touch Monkey - Ayun Halliday

Posted by travelingchinese on 4/7/2009 at 00:44

I am reading this now - hilarious backpacking short stories by Ayun Halliday. It was published in 2003 - and some of the stores are from the 90s - so I wouldn't use it as a travel guide - just a great read.

Available online via: Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk. (Amazon links added in by Somtam2000)

#1 travelingchinese has been a member since 2/7/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by travelingchinese on 4/7/2009 at 00:45

Sorry if I wasn't clear - "No Touch Monkey" by Ayun Halliday.

#2 travelingchinese has been a member since 2/7/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by BruceMoon on 4/7/2009 at 08:54

"No Touch Monkey"

I wonder what the title means?

Long ago, when younger and in the army, the Sargeant would awaken us at reveille (ie. early morning) with wakey, wakey, hands off monkey.

Cheers

#3 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by neosho on 4/7/2009 at 23:29

Now that's funny. LOL

#4 neosho has been a member since 13/8/2008. Posts: 386

Posted by MADMAC on 5/7/2009 at 21:52

When I was in my wife's village long ago, I was feeding a money a banana and then gave him the rest of my coke. He downed that thing like a veteran. Very funny watching a monkey drink out of a coke bottle (It only had a little coke in it - I didn't want him to get more hyper than he already was). Then he sat on his haunches and started chatting away with me. I wish I could speak monkey, as I was really curious what he was saying. I suspect it was something like "Give me some more coke damnit!" My wife took a picture of me handing him a peanut and it looks exactly as if he's shaking my hand in the photo.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.